Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    feistabarbie Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2007, 02:55 PM
    Backbends and walkovers
    What are some ways that I can work on these two things

1.roundofftoetouch
    2.roundoffbackwalkover

Actually, what are some ways I can work on my backwalkover?Like at home? Since I am in track\highjump I usually do backbends almost everyday.
    I am pretty sure about doing them on the floor(backbends)but I still can't go back into one.Any advice would be appreciated.
    rudi_in Posts: 251, Reputation: 45

Mar 4, 2007, 04:55 PM
    Thank you for posting your question to the Ask Me Help Desk.

Recall the information that I posted for you on the roundoff already...

Link to roundoff info

Connecting your toe touch jump means being able to rebound out of the roundoff with the chest up.

For back walkovers, a couple thoughts...

A spotter is ideal but you could find a clear place to bridge up with the butt against the wall. Walk up the wall and kick over. Make sure that you keep strong arms because if you bend the elbows you will most likely crash. Adjust yourself further away from the wall as you get better. Eventually you can kick over from the floor.

To work your way down, stand with your back to the wall and arch back and put your hands on the wall. Then you can walk the hands down to the floor and back up again. Keep in mind that the feet will have to move too as you go up and down.

Ultimately, understand that this is a shoulder flexibility skill and not a back flexibility skill.

Constantly work the bridge so that you can push the chest out over the shoulders and have the shouders above the wrists or even further. Think of doing a bridge with your head by the wall and use the feet to push so that you can press the chest against the wall. The arms need to be straight. You should form a relatively straight line from the hips to the feet when done well. Sort of like a slide. This will help build up some shoulder strength and flexibility.

Good Luck!
    cheerchic24 Posts: 69, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2007, 05:31 PM
    4 your back walkover:
    Practie briges (the position your in when your on both your hands and feet after you "bend back" all the way.) they are the MOST IMPORTAND strech 4 backhandsprings AND back walkovers!
    Try 2 go to a gym so you can be spotter
    Practice your kickover! If it looks sloppy, it will ruin the walkover.
    4 round off toe-touch:
    Make sure you have strong round-off
    U must be able 2 rebound HIGH in order to perform a round-off toe touch
    Warm up and practice both your round off AND toe touch seperatly before you throw them togetheer
    Hope this helped:)
    scac Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2007, 10:55 AM
    Um... first of all you have to be comfurtable with backbends, so maybe try them first(on the ground) when you to a reasonable amount of them, then stand up with your legs a little bit apart and reach for the ground or mat. Trow your arms over your head and reach, then kickover one leg at a time.
    lina8793 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2008, 03:08 AM
    Before attempting a back walkover, you should know how to do a backbend kickover.

Backbend Kickover:

1. Go into your backbend (bridge).

2. When you are about to kick over, lift your leading leg first and kick off strong with your back leg.

3. Make sure you keep your arms straight! Otherwise, you could fall on your head and it'll hurt :/

4. While kicking, push all the weight towards your chest so that it will be easier to go over.

After you have mastered that, you can go on to trying a back walkover :)

Back Walkover:

1. Start with your leading leg in front of the other leg pointed. Put your hands up right beside your ears.

2. Make sure your head goes back first when bending back, along with your arms, then your leading leg.

3. Right when your hands are about to touch the ground, kick off strong with your back leg.

4. Make sure to keep your arms straight! Seriously! If your arms bend, you'll fall on your head and your head AND wrists will be hurting. Trust me, I know from experience.

5. Also, keep your legs straight and toes pointed. It will make your back walkover look more presentable. If they're not straight, it will look sloppy.

I hope this helped!
    :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search