Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nhatkiem Posts: 120, Reputation: 9

Oct 21, 2009, 11:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown008 View Post
    Ok, let me restate my points:

1. Cart and horse are at rest, horse not pulling at all.
    2. Horse starts to pull, unbalanced forces are generated and acceleration results.
    3. Friction builds up as the speed of the cart increases.
    4. When frictional force balances the pulling force of the horse, the acceleration becomes 0 and the velocity remains constant.

That's what I was saying from the beginning. I was not understanding why the Earth had to be considered in the problem, why we had to consider that the Earth pushed on the horse so that it moved if the forces were equal and opposite.
    If you consider the horse and cart, without the earth, and that the only object the horse can pull or push on is the cart, the forces would be equal and opposite. If the horse and cart are attached, they are considered as one entity and ultimately would go nowhere if the horse exerted any forces on the cart. If the horse and cart were not connected, and considered as 2 entities, then any push or pull caused by the horse would cause the kart to either move towards or away the horse, but never in the same direction.

If you look at Newton's first law, we need a frame of reference, a frame of inertia. For a majority of the things we measure here, we measure it with respect to the ground I.E. Earth.

The horse doesn't just push on the cart to accelerate, it pushes AGAINST the earth to do so. In turn the earth pushes back against the horse with equal force.

and

The it must be true that

is small, but is HUGE in comparison, so the must increase to compensate for the difference, and decreases to keep the relationship true for
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2009, 11:21 PM

After all this time, you were the once to make me understand, phew! Thanks! :)
    Nhatkiem Posts: 120, Reputation: 9

Oct 22, 2009, 08:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown008 View Post
    After all this time, you were the once to make me understand, phew! Thanks! :)
    Glad I was able to help, though.. I wonder who resurrected a nearly 2 year old post:confused:
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2009, 09:44 AM

jcpenny, bunniekun, angel1106, sinbad, gigiboyd, hooligan111988, tmrobyn91

All of them, at some months interval revived that thread... :rolleyes:
    DesolateJ Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2009, 08:06 PM
    Ok I'm not tryign to be a smart allec here but, doesn't he law state that if the force is applied on 2 different body objects it does not cancell out so therefore there will be aceleration
    DesolateJ Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2009, 08:07 PM

Oops didn't see nhatkiems reply... but hats basically it
    heinrich654525 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2009, 02:12 PM
    If there's no acceleration it just means no change in velocity...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

8th grade prom.. [ 3 Answers ]

Hey.. well my 8th grade prom is coming up soon. I have no idea what kind of dress to get. Well I am like 5', 13 years old... and like 80-90 lbs. I need some major help. Does anyone know where I can find a nice dress? Thanks, jessica <33

Just starting grade nine [ 1 Answers ]

Ok I am going into grade nine this September, I don't know about the states, but here in Canada, High school starts in grade nine. Anyway, I am worried about the older grades initiating me, what they do is write "niner" on your face with permanent marker. My sister says to have fun with and let...

JV girls in 11th grade? [ 2 Answers ]

Hey I have another question. Is true that if you are in the 11 grade that you can still tryout j.v. girls basketball because I just wannna know. I don't know if I'm ready to go on to varsity. See varsity they have 3 freshmen and two seniors and 2 sohmores ( including one of are players) and the...

Slab on grade plumbing [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I am thinking of building a cabin with a slab-on-grade floor. My plumbing experience is pretty good for a DIYer, a cople of complete new houses, but never slab on grade. Reading over this forum, there seems to be a lot of plumbing problems in slabs. Should I reconsider the slab? If not,...

View more questions Search