Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2008, 04:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by angel1106
    You probably are right about the earth's rotation and such, however this is grade 11 physics, no-one in hell is going to ask an 11th grade student to put into account everything to do with the earth's gravity and such, in a simple question requiring Newton's third law. Charlottethedinosaur's answer to the original question was more close to the curriculum
    Okay, please explain how a horse would pull a cart in the vacuum of space, then.

I think you misread what I said, you don't need Earth's rotation, or gravity. You just need the Earth there. It is an integral part of the solution.
    ItsSAaD Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2008, 07:13 AM
    Is everyone retarded? Capuchin is corrent, you need the earth. The earth is what allows the horse to move forward. Also in grade 11, you need more than just stating newton's 3rd law to explain this question.
    Bellal Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Aug 27, 2008, 06:14 PM
    Ok, suppose the horse is 120kg in mass and the cart is 5 kg. The horse supplies 20N in force. So:

Acceleration cart = 20N/5kg =4m/s^2

The cart will excert the same force on the horse, hence:

Acceleration horse = -20/120 = -1/6 m/s^2

Now, we look at the horse and the cart as a system. Their net acceleration would be the sum of their individual acceleration, hence:

Net acceleration = 4-1/6 = 23/6 m/s^2 forward.

This explains why the cart moves forward not back!
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2008, 04:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellal
    Ok, suppose the horse is 120kg in mass and the cart is 5 kg. The horse supplies 20N in force. So:

Acceleration cart = 20N/5kg =4m/s^2

The cart will excert the same force on the horse, hence:

Acceleration horse = -20/120 = -1/6 m/s^2

Now, we look at the horse and the cart as a system. Their net acceleration would be the sum of their individual acceleration, hence:

Net acceleration = 4-1/6 = 23/6 m/s^2 forward.

This explains why the cart moves forward not back!
    What would happen if the cart were heavier than the horse?? According to your argument the horse and cart would move backwards even though the horse is pulling it forwards. The EARTH is pushing on the Horse-cart. That's why it moves.

Also your calculation is far too complicated and gives the wrong answer, the net acceleration is simply
    YESYES922 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2008, 06:50 PM
    Actually, when the horse pushes the earth, the earth pushes back with equal and oppsite force, and since the horse can't move the earth(not enough mass) the earth moves the horse witch moves the cart.
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2008, 01:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by YESYES922 View Post
    Actually, when the horse pushes the earth, the earth pushes back with equal and oppsite force, and since the horse can't move the earth(not enough mass) the earth moves the horse witch moves the cart.
    The horse can move the Earth, and it does.
    TinTinTinTin Posts: 5, Reputation: 4

Nov 8, 2008, 04:00 PM
    I am just in Grade 12 but I'll still try to help out. Sorry for any wrong terminology. Read Capuchin's post on the second page.

See the thing is in order to move we need something to push off from. Like swimming, if you couldn't push off from the water by kicking or flailing your arms then you wouldn't move. Or like in space where rockets cannot accelerate with external help but rather eject exhaust gas to push forward from.

Otherwise think of this, why is it so important to for people working on space stations to be strapped by something? Because if they happen to float away, they cannot generate any force by themselves to oppose their motion (unless they throw something I guess). So you need something there to push off from.

Similarly, we have the earth to push off from. As Capuchin said the horse and the cart needed to be treated as a single entity in reference to the Earth. Now remember the equation F = ma? Rearrange for acceleration gives us a = F/m. Now take the horsecart and the Earth. If both forces are equal (as a result of Newton's third law) then only their masses need to be considered.

Lets say the force exerted is 100 Newtons, the mass of the earth is 6 × 10 to the power of 24 and the mass of the horse + cart is 50 kg. Plug these values into the equation

Horsecart
    a = F/m
    a = 100/50
    a = 2

Earth
    a = F/m
    a = 100/(6 x 10^24)
    a = 1.666 x 10^-23!

Compare the 2 accelerations, both entities (earth and the horsecart) will move but the earth's movement is almost negligible. Sorry if I am wrong anywhere and if there is any credit then it goes to Capuchin because I would have no way formulated this answer by myself
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2008, 02:03 AM

The first thing that came to me on seeing this question is that the reason was that the net force is zero. Well, not at the beginning but later on, when the cart no more accelerates.

Firstly, the horse 'uses' friction of the ground to move forward, and since there is no net force on the cart, it accelerates in the direction of the pulling horse.

Now, friction builds up as the cart gains speed, and the frictional force becomes equal to the force exerted by the horse.

Finally, as there is not net force (weight is cancelled by Earth's reaction, forward force by friction) the cart still continues to move. This is because "any body continues in its state of rest or motion in a straight line unless acted upon by a force" by Newton I.

Anyway, if that possibility is wrong, someone tell me why, so that I understand it better. I'm too in Grade 11, well I think it's the equivalent of what I'm doing.
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2008, 05:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown008 View Post
    The first thing that came to me on seeing this question is that the reason was that the net force is zero. Well, not at the beginning but later on, when the cart no more accelerates.

Firstly, the horse 'uses' friction of the ground to move forward, and since there is no net force on the cart, it accelerates in the direction of the pulling horse.

Now, friction builds up as the cart gains speed, and the frictional force becomes equal to the force exerted by the horse.

Finally, as there is not net force (weight is cancelled by Earth's reaction, forward force by friction) the cart still continues to move. This is because "any body continues in its state of rest or motion in a straight line unless acted upon by a force" by Newton I.

Anyway, if that possibility is wrong, someone tell me why, so that I understand it better. I'm too in Grade 11, well I think it's the equivalent of what I'm doing.
    There is always friction, try puching something heavy along a carpet - even when the object is not moving, there is a friction that you have to overcome to get the cart moving in the first place.

The point is that it's not the horse pulling on the cart that provides the motion - because that is exactly offset by the cart pulling on the horse - however it's the horse pushing on the Earth and therefore the Earth pushing back on the horse that does provide the motion.
    ceinna321 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2008, 11:48 AM

Quote Originally Posted by TinTinTinTin View Post
    I am just in Grade 12 but I'll still try to help out. Sorry for any wrong terminology. Read Capuchin's post on the second page.

See the thing is in order to move we need something to push off from.
    Capuchin and TinTinTinTin are definitely right.
    :) :D

say the first smiley to the left is the horse and the smiley to the right is the cart. Now, imagine that they are connected by a rope.

In order for there to be an action and reaction force between these two, the horse must be moving to the left--in other words, the horse can't be pulling if its not moving to the left! If the horse just stood there and the cart was also there... there wouldn't be an action/reaction force right?

The horse then, is pulling on the cart with F1 and the cart is pulling on the horse with F2 (F1 and F2 are equal in magnitude).

Now, as TinTinTinTin said (and I'm sure Capuchin has metioned something along the same lines), in order for the horse to move to the left, the horse MUST be exerting a force to the right on the floor. According to Newton's third law, if the horse exerts a force to the right on the floor, the floor must be exerting a force of equal magnitude on the horse but to the LEFT. Now lets say this force that the floor exerts is F3. F3, then, is the net force (lets just ignore friction to make it easier to understand... although in reality there must be friction) of the "horsecart" (It is the net force because the action and reaction force between the cart and horse cancels out).

So, a=Fnet/m--> accel of the horsecart=F3/mass of horsecart. The horse's accel is the same as the accel of the whole horsecart and the cart's accel is the same as the accel of the whole horsecart.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Now IF WE DO CONSIDER FRICTION (You might not want to read this part... since I'm not completely sure about it... ):
    we have F1 and F2( the action and reactions forces), F3 the force the earth is exerting on the horse to the LEFT and friction of horse and cart...

so, I'm not exactly sure about this part... help me out if I'm wrong about something :S but in order for the horse and cart to move from rest, F3 must be greater than the max static friction of the horsecart (together). Once the horse + cart start moving, you would have to consider kinetic friction. If they're moving at a constant speed, F3 must equal to the kinetic friction of the horsecart. If they're accelerating, F3 must be greater than the kinetic friction of the horsecart (to give you a net force which is then divided by the mass of the whole horsecart to get your acceleration).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SORRY IF ANYTHING IS WRONG, I'm in grade 11, and we've just finished unit 1 on mechanics >.<
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2008, 02:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin View Post
    There is always friction, try pushing something heavy along a carpet - even when the object is not moving, there is a friction that you have to overcome to get the cart moving in the first place.
    I'm not telling the opposite... What I think is that the cart is at rest because there is no net force acting upon it. Friction is present, but there is no resultant force, right? Or... wrong? It's Newton's first law... "Every body stays in its state of rest (or motion) unless a force is acted upon it."

Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin View Post
    The point is that it's not the horse pulling on the cart that provides the motion - because that is exactly offset by the cart pulling on the horse - however it's the horse pushing on the Earth and therefore the Earth pushing back on the horse that does provide the motion.
    But, if the horse was not tied to the cart, it would still be pushing on Earth and vice versa. However, the cart will not move. The horse uses friction and the reaction force to move forward, and hence move the cart :confused::confused::confused:
    harum Posts: 339, Reputation: 27

Nov 19, 2008, 02:39 PM
    Consider all the forces acting on the horse and the cart. F(pull) is what acts on the cart. This force is directed toward the horse. The is no or little friction forces acting on the cart. This is why the net force applied to the cart is not zero, therefore the cart has to move. Horse is pulled back by the cart with the force equal to F(pull) in magnitude and opposite in direction according to the Newton's law. However, there are friction forces acting on horse's hooves. These friction forces are larger in the magnitude compared to the F(pull). What's interesting is that in this particular case these friction forces are directed the same way the horse moves. This is not unusual. Consider friction forces between a highway surface and car tires.
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2008, 02:13 AM

I was saying the net force was zero when the cart was initially at rest and at terminal velocity. When the horse pulls, this creates a force, thus an acceleration, but then, constant speed.
    sinbad Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2009, 05:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cool_dude View Post
    Actually charlotte doesn't make sense and capuchin makes more sense. I had the exact same question in my physics class. Darn i can't remember the explanation. It had something to do with forces acting in different directions.

Edit: Capuchin i don't think the earth part plays any role in it. But you should know more since i believe your majoring in physics.
    Yeah you are rite the earth does not matter because both of the objects are on the same frame of reference.
    gigiboyb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2009, 06:08 PM
    I think what you need to remember here is that:

-the forces act on different objects
    -N means acceleration so if the forces are equal, the cart is either in constant motion or no motion, in this case motion
    hooligan111988 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2009, 10:32 AM
    well... I guess I'm late on replying but ill take the good ol college try... im a physics major and after going through hell classes I tend to make simple question super complicated... so I'm going to try to make this simple... well. You can approach this problem in a lot of ways... what tintintintin posted for the first time just simply proved that yea.. the horse moving has an effect on the earth... it didn't answer why the cart moves forward... also one thing that kind of bugged me was that you NEED the earth for this to be possible. Well, you don't... it could be a simple plane in the vacuum of space... just as long as there is friction... its possible anywhere... but anyway.. here's my answer...

First. I would draw a free body diagram and label everything that acts on it... but I'm going to talk about 4 vectors (hopefully I can explain this clearly)... one vector is the force acting on the ground when the horse is pushing off and it points to the left (assuming that the horse is pulling the cart to the right)... another vector is the force acting on the wagon by the horse caused by the horse pulling it (that points to the left) (Note: I'm not putting any values on the vectors right now, thers no need to)... the third and fourth vector are acting on the horse by the ground and by the cart that's pulling on the horse (Newton's third law) the force acting on the horse by the ground is pointing to da right and the force acting on ground cause by the horse is pointing to da left... Note that there is only one force acting on the cart on the x-axis... which is cause by the horse pulling on the cart... now the question is what does it take for the horse to move the cart?. well look at the 3rd and 4th vectors I explained... what it takes is that the force that the ground excerts on the horse is greater that the force of the cart action on the horse... now that's the simplest answer I can give... I didn't especifially go into friction or tension of the rope.. blah blah blah... just simple vectors gave the answer... of course I hope I'm right because I'm still a student and believe it or not answering this question is tough because I took this class ages ago... it always happens to me, when I start taking harder classes the easy problems just seem to be a nightmare... hopefully my explanation wasn't a nightmare... and of course, corrections are welcome since I'm someone will find something that's wrong with this explanation..
    tmrobyn91 Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Oct 20, 2009, 04:32 PM
    Actually the force that the horses pulls the cart on is canceled out by the equal and opposite force that the cart pulls back on the horse. You should look at what the horse does to the earth to be able to apply force to the cart.

For the horse to apply force to the cart it must push on the earth. Now the horse is accelerated forward by the earth. It is this acceleration that propels both cart and horse forward.

The horse pulling on the cart is the same but opposite of the cart pulling on the horse, but as soon as you factor in the acceleration from the earth pushing back on the horse there is unbalanced force. Which allows the horse to pull the cart.
    Nhatkiem Posts: 120, Reputation: 9

Oct 21, 2009, 12:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown008 View Post
    But, if the horse was not tied to the cart, it would still be pushing on Earth and vice versa. However, the cart will not move. The horse uses friction and the reaction force to move forward, and hence move the cart :confused::confused::confused:
    This isn't entirely true. You don't need friction to move the cart. If such a place existed, where there was no friction, the act of you breathing in and out would cause a force large enough to cause you to move. Or if you threw an object away from you, you would move in the direction opposite of where you threw.
    Nhatkiem Posts: 120, Reputation: 9

Oct 21, 2009, 12:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tmrobyn91 View Post
    the horse pulling on the cart is the same but opposite of the cart pulling on the horse, but as soon as you factor in the acceleration from the earth pushing back on the horse there is unbalanced force. which allows the horse to pull the cart.
    One small error. The forces are balanced. The accelerations are not balanced.
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2009, 10:55 AM

Ok, let me restate my points:

1. Cart and horse are at rest, horse not pulling at all.
    2. Horse starts to pull, unbalanced forces are generated and acceleration results.
    3. Friction builds up as the speed of the cart increases.
    4. When frictional force balances the pulling force of the horse, the acceleration becomes 0 and the velocity remains constant.

That's what I was saying from the beginning. I was not understanding why the Earth had to be considered in the problem, why we had to consider that the Earth pushed on the horse so that it moved if the forces were equal and opposite.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

8th grade prom.. [ 3 Answers ]

Hey.. well my 8th grade prom is coming up soon. I have no idea what kind of dress to get. Well I am like 5', 13 years old... and like 80-90 lbs. I need some major help. Does anyone know where I can find a nice dress? Thanks, jessica <33

Just starting grade nine [ 1 Answers ]

Ok I am going into grade nine this September, I don't know about the states, but here in Canada, High school starts in grade nine. Anyway, I am worried about the older grades initiating me, what they do is write "niner" on your face with permanent marker. My sister says to have fun with and let...

JV girls in 11th grade? [ 2 Answers ]

Hey I have another question. Is true that if you are in the 11 grade that you can still tryout j.v. girls basketball because I just wannna know. I don't know if I'm ready to go on to varsity. See varsity they have 3 freshmen and two seniors and 2 sohmores ( including one of are players) and the...

Slab on grade plumbing [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I am thinking of building a cabin with a slab-on-grade floor. My plumbing experience is pretty good for a DIYer, a cople of complete new houses, but never slab on grade. Reading over this forum, there seems to be a lot of plumbing problems in slabs. Should I reconsider the slab? If not,...

View more questions Search