Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jeff Miller Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2012, 10:31 AM
    how to default on land property loan
    We have property that we purchased 4 years ago that we still $100,000 on and the property has been devalued to $65,000. We are not able to sell it but would like to default on the loan. What is the worse that can happen? We used our current residence as collateral to purchase the property.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 24, 2012, 11:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Miller View Post
    We have property that we purchased 4 years ago that we still $100,000 on and the property has been devalued to $65,000. We are not able to sell it but would like to default on the loan. what is the worse that can happen? We used our current residence as collateral to purchase the property.
    The worst that could happen?

Let me see. The sun could go nova and all of us could die? And there might be no life after death?

Reaistically, with respect to your particular situation?

The bank could foreclose, get a deficiency judgment against you, it could be sold for $1.00 and the bank could get a deficiency judgment for $99,999, and foreclose on your current residence as well.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 24, 2012, 11:57 AM
    Let me see, they foreclose and your 100,000 balance goes up to about 110,000 with costs. They sell the property and get maybe 20,000 ** at court house auctions most in my area are gong for 10 to 20 cents on the dollar.

So you end up still owing 80,000 on a home you no longer own. And you have to pay it, or they will foreclose on your current home also.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Land contract default [ 8 Answers ]

Selling on land contract,they will be 3 months behind the 1st, they must pay back taxxes by 3/31 or county takes it, they have never purchased home ins like contract states.We never had contract notorized either. Is it that easy to get back if I pay back taxxes to save it? Or am I just doing them a...

Loan default auto loan [ 0 Answers ]

My husband took a truck loan out over two years ago. He was arrested in another state for transporting drugs in that state. He is in prison and the truck is in the possession of that state. The payment was set up to come out of a joint savings account we have with the bank he has the loan with....

Land Contract in default [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a proprty in West Virginia under a land contract, this contract was not prepared by an attorney nor was it noterized or recorded, the tenants are in default and I want to have them revomed from the property does anyone know how much time I must give them to be out?

Can my property be seized if I default on bank loan? [ 4 Answers ]

I'll try to make this as short as possible. My husband and I are both now disabled, but about 8.5 years ago we co-signed with our daughter to buy a used (1 year old at the time) mobile home. She is now divorced and the mobile home is parked on land next door to her ex-MIL, who owns the land. We...

View more questions Search