Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    saysomething Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2007, 02:14 PM
    Theft but no charges?
    Does anyone know of instances where you were caught shoplifting in a grocery chainstore by their in house loss prevention officer and the police are called, but the police did not end up laying down charges for theft?

Did the loss prevention officer have influence over the possibility of having charges laid?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2007, 02:26 PM
    Yes, they can have influence over whether charges are laid or not.

If you were lucky enough not to have charges pressed, then you are indeed lucky.
    tinsign Posts: 275, Reputation: 66

Mar 4, 2007, 02:34 PM
    Some stores have a set limit you must exceed for them to press charges, the major chain store I worked for did.
    What they do sometimes is make you agree not to go into the store again on paper and also take a pic of you so employees can spot you if you do enter.
    saysomething Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2007, 01:17 AM
    Follow up question. If the police did lay charges and set a court date, is there any way to have the charges dismissed? For example, talk to the staff at the store?

I don't understand as to whether the charge the police laid (theft under $5000) is filed against me by the store, or if it's filed against me by the government.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 6, 2007, 07:11 AM
    In a criminal case, the state is the prosecutor. Only in civil cases is a person (or company) the plaintiff. Theft is a criminal offense.

However, if the store declines to prosecute, the state will usually drop the case.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shoplifting charges [ 2 Answers ]

Hello This is my story : Yesterday evening I went to a supermarket and I bought a sandwich, a soda, a carspray, a loaf of bread and a cheesecake. I went to my car and clipped a coupon from the cheesecake. That coupon was good for 2 $ and the discounted price of the cake was 1.99 so...

Child abuse charges [ 12 Answers ]

Child abuse charges how long do they last I'm looking in to foster care and would like to know how long do family file stay open in New York

Pressing charges [ 3 Answers ]

How much does it cost to press charges against a private citizen

Credit Card Charges [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all, Its my first time on here so hello to all. Quick question. I have a charge on my credit card that I do not recognize. I also do not have a receipt for it. Do merchants keep itemized receipts for purchases. For example, would I be able to get an itemized receipt from my credit...

View more questions Search