Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ramonborges Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2012, 08:34 AM
    Can I use my water heater with only one element connected?
    He bottom element is grounded on my electric water heater. I haven't being able to remove it from heater in order to replace it with a new one.
    In the meantime, can I just run it with the upper element?
    I was thinking I could just disconnect the power to the bottom element to keep the breaker from tripping. Should I disconnect also the bottom thermostast ?
    How should I proceed?

Thank you
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 24, 2012, 08:50 AM
    Hi Ramon

Did you purchase an ELEMENT WRENCH from your local home depot (or lowes)? If not, I would advise you to shut the power off, drain the heater while you go off to the store and return with the element wrench.

Use the special wrench and remove the element... replace element, wire the element, fill the heater with water, purge the air from the system and then turn power back on.

That is really the only way to do this job!

Mark
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 24, 2012, 09:58 AM
    With all respect to Mark,

I recently had an element (bottom of course) that just wouldn't come out. Too much corrosion, the element wrench didn't fit precisely enough with my leverage off centered.

After fighting it a while I went automotive parts store and purchased a 1 1/2" six point socket with a 1/2 drive. Cost $7, less than the cost of an element wrench.

With the precise fit of the socket and the 1/2 breaker bar, the element almost came out by its self.

Threw away my element wrench.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 24, 2012, 10:15 AM
    Not too good a idea to remove the bottom element and just work off the top one. You'd run out of hot water real fast if you did. Mark offered a better solution. With respect to Harold I've never had a element that my wrench wouldn't fit. Replace the bottom element and if you're still tripping breakers put a Amp-Probe on one leg of the power line. Your reading should be 19 amps. Anything over that replace 5the thermostats. Good luck, Tom
    Lobs Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Jul 15, 2013, 02:30 PM
    Why can't anyone just answer the dang question? I am doing the same thing for a while until I can replace the lower element. I am guessing that because they make water heaters that only have one element that it will be OK. Sure wish they would have answered instead of nagging.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 15, 2013, 04:39 PM
    Hi Lobs Welcome to The Plumbing Page at AMHD.com.
    If you have a question or complaint just post it up and We will be glad to answer it. And please! Don't hold back on the criticism. Cheers, Tom
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 16, 2013, 07:04 AM
    If you don't like this site there is always Yahoo.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2013, 12:05 PM
    If you don't like this site call a plumber to fix your problem, as Tom says if you have a question please posted and we will be glad to help you, Thanks.

John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I use my water heater with only one element connected? [ 0 Answers ]

The bottom element is grounded on my electric water heater. I haven't being able to remove it from heater in order to replace it with a new one. In the mean time can I just run it with the upper element? I was thinking I could just disconnect the power to the bottom element to keep the breaker...

Water Heater Element [ 1 Answers ]

Can I put a 4500 watt element and a 3500 watt element in a water heater. I have an energy smart Whirlpool 40 gal. with the circuit board on top. The reason I ask is the bottom 4500 watt element burned out and I had this 3500 watt element from a previous tank. So can I have a 4500 watt and a 3500...

Replacing element in water heater have to be the same watt element? [ 1 Answers ]

My water heater has 2- 4500 watt elements installed now. Went to find replacements. Could only find 3800 watt. The guy at home depot said it should not hurt just might not heat as fast. Is this correct or should I take these back?

Replace a water heater 120 element with a 220 element with proper wiring [ 4 Answers ]

Can I use a 220 heating element in a 110 water heater as long as the wiring is for 220. We had a 40 gal water heater 220 volts in a weekend cabin with one shower a complete over kill. Want to replace with a 20 gal 110 water heater but to take advantage of the 220 wiring can I just swap out the...

Grounding a water heater element [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to use a stainless steel sanke beer keg as a cooker for my brewing and want to convert it to an eletrical heat source. I purchased a water heater element and a 220V rated sealed dryer cord with plug. I know that the two hots get connected directly to the element, but what do I do...

View more questions Search