Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angelmoss46 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2012, 03:02 PM
    Company terminating plans
    My former employer just started the process to terminate all plans due to a buyout of the company. They chose the IRS method. We have been told that due to the employer choosing this method of closure, all employees cannot cashout or rollover their 401k's until the IRS has approved the termination, which can take up to 6 months, and all employees requests have been properly completed and submitted. This doesn't sound right.. shouldn't I be able to get access to my money to cash out or roll over since my company has closed.

FYI, the New company does not utilize the same 401k company, therefore we must decided on a choice.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 23, 2012, 03:28 PM
    I recommend that you sit tight.

While access can be temporarily restricted due to technical legal reason, eventually, the custodian MUST give you access to the funds to either roll them over into the new company's 401K plan OR to roll them over into a rollover IRA.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 24, 2012, 06:45 AM
    Unfortunately when a 401(k) plan terminates it may actually take up to a year for the monies to be distributed out of the plan. Here's an IRS web page that describes the process:
    401(k) Resource Guide - Plan Participants - Plan Termination

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Your company has launched a new product .Your company is a reputed company with 50% m [ 0 Answers ]

Your company has launched a new product .Your company is a reputed company with 50% market share of similar range of products. Your competitors also enter with their new products equivalent to your new product. Based on your earlier experience, you initially estimated that, your market share of the...

How can I write a good company profile as my company is ajuice processing company? [ 1 Answers ]

We produce juice from natural fruiits and tomato sauce

Terminating Parental Rights without terminating obligation [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know if a father's parental rights can be terminated without terminating his support obligation. I live in Georgia and have sole legal and physical custody of our daughter. At this moment, my exhusband owes me over $45,000 in back child support. He hasn't had any contact with our 12...

View more questions Search