Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    musa1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2012, 02:47 AM
    An 82 kg man drops from rest on a diving board 3.0 m above the surface of the water a
    An 82 kg man drops from rest on a diving board 3.0 m above the surface of the water and comes to rest 0.55 s after reaching the water. What is the net force on the diver as he is brought to rest?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 25, 2012, 07:36 AM
    Easiest to use work and energy principals here. Set the work done by gravity as the man falls from a height of +3m to a depth of -.55m equal to the work done by the water to slow him down.

**Correction: this method gives the force exerted by the water. But the question asks for net force, so we must add the effect of gravity operating on the man, so subtract mg.

Perhaps a better way is to use v^2 = 2gh to find his velocity when he hits the water, and then v^2 = 2ad to find his deceleration in the water, then set F=ma.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Music video with a glowing rolling ball? A man drops it [ 0 Answers ]

I'm trying to find a music video about love that has a rolling glowing ball that looks like the sun. a man drops it, and the video follows wherever the ball goes.

NO led light on the Hot Surface Ignition board, Does this mean it is bad? [ 0 Answers ]

My gas furnace won't turn on. Just replaced the upper limit switch with a different kind? Will that make a difference? Please help!

I am not getting 115 AC volts at surface igniter. Is this a controller board problem? [ 12 Answers ]

Draft inducer works, pressure switch works, rollout switch works, surface igniter (41-404) is not lighting up. Igniter itself measures 60ohm which should be OK. On surface igniter feed lines I am getting 6 AC volts instead of 115V. If this is control board problem? how difficult is to change?...

Diving board [ 1 Answers ]

A diver jumps with an upward velocity of 2.0m/s, from a 10m diving board. How long will it take to hit the water?(answer: 1.6s). There is the answer but how do I get it?

View more questions Search