Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DarkFlameJB Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2012, 05:01 PM
    Chemistry
    A solution contains Sr2+ and Ba2+ ions both at a concentration of 1.25 x 10 ^-3 molL-1.
    A dilute solution of sulphuric acid is slowly added to this mixture of ions. (Assume any change in volume is insignificant.)
    Ks (BaSO4) =1x10^-10 Ks (SrSO4)=3x10^-7

b
    (I) calclute the concentration of SO42- ions when SrSO4 begins to precipitate.

(ii) calculate the concentration of Ba2+ when SrSO4 begins to precipitate

thanks(:
    Chic_Bowdrie Posts: 54, Reputation: 8

Jul 27, 2012, 01:28 PM
    By examining the Ks for each compound, you can tell that BaSO4 is less soluble than SrSO4. So almost all Ba+2 will precipitate out before SrSO4 begins to ppt. Use the Ks for SrSO4 and the initial concentration of Sr+2 to calculate the concentration of SO4-2 for the answer to (I). Then use that concentration of SO4-2 and the Ks for SrSO4 to calculate the concentration of Ba+2 for the answer to (ii). [M+2][SO4-2] = Ks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chemistry [ 1 Answers ]

What happens to the original pressure of a sample of a gas with each of the following changes. Triple the volume and half the kelvin temperature. Half the volume and double the kelvin temperature

Chemistry [ 1 Answers ]

Would a dilute or a concentrated sodium fluoride solution have a higher boiling point ?

Chemistry [ 5 Answers ]

You have been provided with a solution made of 3 components What will be the sum of their mole fraction justify your ans

Chemistry question about Organic Chemistry [ 9 Answers ]

Could you explain to me why I ended up with two marks out of a possible 6 in these questions? I think that I answered them correctly but I am not sure so I would like your help so that then I may tell my instructor.

Chemistry ? [ 0 Answers ]

Name 3 monochromators used in a spectrophotometer?

View more questions Search