Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lacuran8626 Posts: 270, Reputation: 57

Mar 4, 2007, 09:32 AM
    How can I get through a rough time?
    I am seeking assistance/advice. I have worked professionally for many years. When new management was brought in by my former employer, they got rid of me. This was in August of 2006. I had a great many interviews but no offers that I could accept because each required something, like a lot of travel, that was impossible for me to commit to as I am a divorced, custodial parent. I live 400 miles away from my family and friends because I have not been permitted to leave the state because my son's father lives here. My family have generously provided me the money to hire an attorney so that I can get court permission to move home, which I have wanted to do for the past 6 years since my husband first left me. It is going well and it looks like I will be able to move in June, when school ends. My home is on the market. I have found contract work, but it does not pay enough to meet my expenses through June. I have to find $8,000 someway or another to bridge the gap, get through until then, and to be able to keep enough of my equity from the sale of my home to be able to pay moving expenses and the bare minimum downpayment on the most affordable 2 bedroom condo that I can find. Because I have no child care after business hours, I have not been able to find a second source of income to make up the difference between what I make on my contract job, and what I need. Once I move, I have a solid offer in place to join my parents in their well-established business, and I will ultimately take it over. They are not wealthy, but this offer will double my former income and has unlimited potential. So, my problem is short-term. I would like to live with my parents for 6 months, which would permit me to save up and pay off this debt after I move, but the court will not permit me to do so. A requirement of the consent to move my son out of our current state is that I have a home in place prior to the move for both of us, and that it not be a living-with- relatives or friends arrangement.

There has to be a way I can find another $8,000 over the course of 4 months and I wonder if anyone has a legitimate suggestion? I have crappy credit due to a year of late payments, and not having permanent employment in place so a loan is not a viable option. My family are paying my legal fees and already paid two months of my mortgage, which is all they can manage. There has to be an answer somewhere... do you know it?:confused:
    gazelleintense Posts: 175, Reputation: 13

May 3, 2007, 02:00 PM
    Do you believe in God? Prayer can't hurt. :)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 3, 2007, 02:40 PM
    McDonalds and Hardee is hiring, So go get a job, any job to help pay the bills.
    lacuran8626 Posts: 270, Reputation: 57

May 6, 2007, 04:43 PM
    Thank you but I get the impression Fr. Chuck that your McDonald's comment is a bit sarcastic - as if I'm not willing to work, which is absolutely not the case. I guess I figured there are other people who have been through a period of life when they were among the working poor, who might have found some resource or money management strategy that permitted them to hang on until they were able to catch up.

I re-read my post as it's been a while, and I suppose you might have thought I was looking for a hand-out. Not the case at all. I wanted to fix the problem myself, but am admittedly not very good with money so was seeking advise on how to go about it. Working parents with minor children have a tough time taking minimum wage jobs that pay less than the cost of providing care for their children while they are working. This had been my dilemma. I was working, but not for enough money. I ended up calling a number of large companies and asking if they had any office projects I could do for them from home - typing and that sort of thing. I was able to connect with an engineering firm that needed someone to type specifications, and it was enough to dig out and I could do it without paying for child care.

At any rate, I'm through the rough spot at this time. I would guess there are probably millions of people who work but can't make ends meet. I will be more understanding now that I've been in their shoes - the first time in my life that I was truly at financial risk. It's a terrible thing to go through.
    wynelle Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

May 10, 2007, 07:32 PM
    Just asking, but are you not receiving child support?

Since your parents are paying for your attorney, I would try to have him modify the consent to move out of state, so that if your parents send a statement that you will be living with them. Perhaps if the court can be assured that you will have a stable home and not be moving from relative to relative, the court might be willing to relax that requirement.

Second, and I know this is a difficult question, but are you against your ex-husband having custody? That would give you an opportunity to work two jobs so you could put a hefty amount of money towards your bills. Or even joint custody so you could work weekends extra.

You owe a pretty massive amount of money. Do you have a budget so you know where you're earnings and child support are atually going every month? Have you cut out the luxuries like cable, Internet, "extras" on your phone plan? Do you take the bus or walk whenever possible to save on gas and wear/tear on your vehicle? I would sell any non-necessity on eBay which would decrease moving expenses. I would sell your condo---take a reduced price if necessary. Its only a few weeks until school is out--stay in a "weekly rental" hotel if necessary, just get out from under that debt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft under $5000. 2nd time. But 1st time since 18th [ 4 Answers ]

Hey all, So basically the story goes like this: In April of 2006, I was arrested for theft under $5000 for car prowling in a neighborhood and some alleyways. I was 17 at the time. We got caught with $1500 worth of golf clubs in the back of my dads car. Needless to say, my dad was pissed....

Dark brown lines going across my screen from time to time [ 10 Answers ]

I have a problem with my computer monitor, I have these brown horizontal lines that go across my screen sometimes (REALLY ANNOYING). I just replaced the video card so its not that, also if I hit the side of the monitor the lines go away:p Just wondering if there's anything I can do that can fix it!...

Computer won't start up first time, but will second time [ 8 Answers ]

So this is a completely different computer first off. When I press the power button, everything powers up, but the computer does not post, or beep. If you leave the computer on for like 10 seconds, turn it off, and then turn it immediately back on, it turns on, posts, beeps, boots into Windows...

Part time or full time resident? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am a student in PA and spent about 3 months in New York during the summer for an internship. Since my primary domicile was still in PA (since I had to return for the next year of classes), am I a resident of PA for the full year or a part year resident? Likewise when I file state tax...

View more questions Search