Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2012, 11:27 AM
    How concerned about this should I be?
    Hello everyone.

At the endocrinologist, the doctor told me that Ayla (8 years) is just over the line of over weight. I feel terrible for keeping 'mommy blinders' on, and not noticing. But it is my fault. Growing up, food was a weapon used by my mother, and I refuse to do the same. And I apparently went too far. I not only allowed second helpings, but thirds and fourths if she asked. And gave snacks whenever she asked for it. Our diet isn't horrible, but it's a standard low income diet.

This payday, I started buying better as best I could. No more cheap cookies, but instead, bannas, apples, granola bars. And she is only allowed one helping, MAYBE two, depending on circumstances (how much she ate, how filling the meal is, how long its been since the last meal etc)

We are eating healthier, so I know that will help.

but my question is, how worried should I be about this?

She has a BMI of 19.4 at 8 years old, its barely over the line of normal weight. She has always had higher percentages as far as height and wieght, but she is now in 85-90%
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 22, 2012, 11:34 AM
    I would be more concerned about what you did not talk about, exercise, and also what is your weight and height in comparison.

So any over weight is a issue, but it is a balance, not only the food, but does she run, take walks, ride bikes ? Or does she sit at home every night doing video games
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 22, 2012, 11:36 AM
    I don't pay much attention to the BMI index; I rather follow my weight (turned my BMI feature off on my scale) mostly because it was dibilitating and upsetting; and I am not over weight !

How much does she weight at 8 years old, and is it the normal weight for her; if she is over by a few pounds, that won't be hard to get in order. So how much does she weight ?
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2012, 11:48 AM
    She is 51 inches tall, and 74 lbs.

Looking at her papers it seems I exaggerated the percentages :P she is 50% for height, and 75% for weight.

She loves to play, I limit her time on games, we do indulge in TV time, but we also have lots of physical fun. This summer, being in phoenix, he weather has been 110 or more for the last few months. But we do go in the pool several times a week (sometimes its just too hot, even for the pool) she has been trying to learn skateboarding. She has a bike, but the tire popped a few weeks ago.

The doc did ask about exercise, I told the doc about average for all the kids in our neighborhood. But again, its just so hot, sometimes we do just sit at home and play board games and watch television.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 22, 2012, 12:09 PM
    Well Jennie, that height and weight isn't all that bad for a girl 8. The average is 45 inches tall and 57 lbs. I can't see her looking heavy the way she is. You have to compare, favourably, of course with

5l inches - 74 lbs. your girl (she is taller then average)
    45 inches - 57 lbs. average

BMI index in Canada isn't really relied upon much anymore.
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2012, 12:17 PM
    Oh good. Thank you tickle. I know I over worry lol. So I'm glad I can come here and get advice.
    She does look a bit on the hefty side. But she doesn't look actually over weight. She has never ever been one of the petite slender little girls. She may never be.
    southtexas20 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2012, 06:48 PM
    I think it is to early to tell. I have family that went through a similar experience. It's so hard to say what will happen when they are just growing up. But it's good to form decent eating habits and education...

Talk to you later

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I be concerned about any of this? [ 0 Answers ]

Hi I had what looked like implantation bleeding on the tenth day after my last period and I missed my next period on the 12th of this month but pregnancy tests were negative. I have had a lot of heartburn and some weird abdomonal cramping and last wed I started what I'm thinking is my period it...

Should I be concerned? [ 1 Answers ]

I am late for my period and my boyfriend says that my vagina has gotton tighter... what does this mean?

Should I be concerned? [ 3 Answers ]

My girlfriend and I have been sleeping together for a while now. Everything between us is good. The other night I stayed over at her place and early in the morning we had started to have sex. Yes, we still used a condom. Sadly to say the sex didn't last to long because of us goofing around before...

Should I be concerned? [ 5 Answers ]

I have been dating my boyfriend for 3 years. About 1 yr and a half ago he cheated on me with some random girl while he was drunk (which is not an excuse I know) but I chose to forgive him and try to fix our relationship. So far everything has been going pretty smoothly, he hasn't cheated on me...

Concerned what is this? [ 10 Answers ]

Hello am 20 years old and for the past 4 months I have been getting a lot of bleeding from the back passage I don't even have to pass emotions for my back passage to bleed.Now 2 months ago I found a lump just outside my anus that is very itchy but doesn't hurt until I need to go to the loo.I have...

View more questions Search