Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    doug196 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2007, 09:16 AM
    Load panel capacity 200 amp
    I have a challenger load panel SB20 (20-40) CT. Which is a 200 amp panel.

The number of switches currently in the panel are 19 total. Total amp of all switches is 360. Some of those circuits are dedicated to a sole source. GFCI to Whirlpool tub for example.

This panel has 20 1" spots available but 1/2" breakers can be used according to panel.

The problem is although 200 amp service and code says no more than 42 switches which we are well within, the panels states that the sum of circuit breaker ratings not to exceed 125 amps per branch bus stab.

Why would a 200 amp box limit to a total of 250 amps total amps when not all the electricity is being used at the same time? Was it just to cya if someone went overboard? Also would I being against code to exceed what the manufacturer has written on the panel sticker?

This will be an extremely expensive upgrade to just switch out panels as I see.
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Mar 4, 2007, 09:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by doug196
    I have a challenger load panel SB20 (20-40) CT. Which is a 200 amp panel.

The number of switches currently in the panel are 19 total. Total amp of all switches is 360. Some of those circuits are dedicated to a sole source. GFCI to Whirlpool tub for example.

This panel has 20 1" spots available but 1/2" breakers can be used according to panel.

The problem is although 200 amp service and code says no more than 42 switches which we are well within, the panels states that the sum of circuit breaker ratings not to exceed 125 amps per branch bus stab.

Why would a 200 amp box limit to a total of 250 amps total amps when not all the electricity is being used at the same time? Was it just to cya if someone went overboard? Also would I being against code to exceed what the manufacturer has written on the panel sticker?

This will be an extremely expensive upgrade to just switch out panels as I see.
    NEC 220 load calculations allow demand factoring for branch circuit loads for determining the 200/225 amp panel rating qualifications for residential service sizing. Adding up all the breaker ampacities in the panelboard is not an actual condition of the panel capacity demand loading. Some circuits are continuous, some are not, so looking into code requirements (I.e. Table 220.54 and 220.55 factor charts for a start) will help you on this matter that really takes a bit of explaining. Nm

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

200 amp panel feeding a 100 amp panel roughly 130' away [ 7 Answers ]

Hi all, We are building a apartment above the garage,my question is what size wire do I need to run from the 200 amp panel to the 100 amp panel roughly 130' away? I want to use aluminum wire as I think copper would be to costly. Thanks for your help in advance, Dude :eek:

Running 100 amp service panal 200 ft away from main 200 amp service [ 4 Answers ]

I am looking to find out how big the wire needs to be to carry the load. This will be a 100 amp service coming from a 200 amp main . It will need to travel 200 to 250 ft underground to a barn. If some one could help me that would be great thaxs)))

Load Center Capacity [ 11 Answers ]

I have a new Square D load center installed rated at 100 amps. What does the 100 amp rating mean? If I replace the 100 amp main breaker with 200 amp breaker does that mean that The load center could melt if 200 amps flowed through it or that the incoming service wires could melt or what. Just...

200 amp main service panel [ 1 Answers ]

I am planning on upgrading my main service panel (in basement) to a 200 amp service, I want to put a 100 amp sub-panel to the attic for central air and all the lighting on the second floor(about 18 hi-hats and 4 fans). From the 100 amp sub in attic I also want to run a 50 amp breaker feeding a...

Size of 200 amp panel box [ 2 Answers ]

Are there any smaller boxes for updating to 200 amp service than the 36" X 18" standrard box my electrician mentioned. This box would have to be installed in our master bedroom as we have no basement and the existing 100 amp box is in the closet, where he cannot legally install the new service. ...

View more questions Search