Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AFamilyman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2012, 03:10 AM
    In the AF, will be marrying someone with a felony, will my security clearance change?
    Hi,
    My fiancé has a drug felony. She is in Pennysylvania She got in trouble a few years ago, did her time, is off probation and has been clean and good for over a year and a half now. She is doing extremely well in college, almost has a 4.0. She has a year and a half old son, and she has done quiet a bit of volunteer work helping rehabilitate people.

We will be married next year, and I didn't think of this till now, but, I have a SECRET security clearance and am overseas, ( not deployed, I'm stationed for a few years) will this affect my clearance, if so, what type of change will occur? And would she be able to come overseas to live with me( I live off base) ? And last but not least, what steps should I take to ease everything and try to make it all work?

I have heard all types of answers, and I can't seem to get anything that really gives me an answer. So, if you could please help me out, that would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2012, 06:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AFamilyman View Post
    Hi,
    My fiance has a drug felony. She is in Pennysylvania She got in trouble a few years ago, did her time, is off of probation and has been clean and good for over a year and a half now. She is doing extremely well in college, almost has a 4.0. She has a year and a half old son, and she has done quiet a bit of volunteer work helping rehabilitate people.

We will be married next year, and i didnt think of this till now, but, I have a SECRET security clearance and am overseas, ( not deployed, im stationed for a few years) will this affect my clearance, if so, what type of change will occur? and would she be able to come overseas to live with me( i live off base) ? And last but not least, what steps should i take to ease everything and try to make it all work?

I have heard all types of answers, and i can't seem to get anything that really gives me an answer. So, if you could please help me out, that would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

I don't know where you will be stationed and if that Country will allow her "in." That's one issue.

When I worked for Homeland Security, yes, security clearances were re-evaluated when a person married. I don't know if the felony will make a difference.

Ask your commanding officer.
    JCook922 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2012, 08:14 AM
    I used to be an ISPM in Security Forces, and depending on her circumstances, my by and large answer is no.

Secret clearances really don't require too much, at least not compared to a Top Secret. What is your job? If it isn't something that is extremely critical involving primary tier resources, then you shouldn't have a problem. I don't think you have anything to worry about, short of her circumstances revolving around the felony being really bad, say if she got nailed for intent to sell or something heinous like that.

Hope that helps.
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2012, 08:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JCook922 View Post
    I used to be an ISPM in Security Forces, and depending on her circumstances, my by and large answer is no.

Secret clearances really don't require too much, at least not compared to a Top Secret. What is your job? If it isn't something that is extremely critical involving primary tier resources, then you shouldn't have a problem. I don't think you have anything to worry about, short of her circumstances revolving around the felony being really bad, say if she got nailed for intent to sell or something heinous like that.

Hope that helps.

The OP stated she is now "clean" and is helping to rehab other people. My guess? Drugs.

I also did security clearances - marry someone with a felony and your background check is reevaluated.

Hopefully your experience trumps mine.
    JCook922 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2012, 01:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    The OP stated she is now "clean" and is helping to rehab other people. My guess? Drugs.

I also did security clearances - marry someone with a felony and your background check is reevaluated.

Hopefully your experience trumps mine.
    I was more referring to if there are other circumstances surrounding her felony besides usage, such as resisting arrest and any misdemeanor charges that could have been tacked on.

They'll reevaluate the clearance for sure, but I feel like there are more details to her case, even if she has put it behind her. Felony possession has a lot of possible variables to it which are circumstantial.
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2012, 02:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JCook922 View Post
    I was more referring to if there are other circumstances surrounding her felony besides usage, such as resisting arrest and any misdemeanor charges that could have been tacked on.

They'll reevaluate the clearance for sure, but I feel like there are more details to her case, even if she has put it behind her. Felony possession has a lot of possible variables to it which are circumstantial.

What variables are there to felony possession? There is nothing about other charges or pleading down (not if the pleas was to a felony).

Of course, I'm basing this on the "clean" and "rehab" statements. Until/unless OP comes back no one actually knows.
    Strength89 Posts: 72, Reputation: 24

Jan 25, 2013, 12:31 AM
    Go to your base security office and ask the security managers there. Be honest about what happened to her so you can get a honest answer. Then, go from there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Security clearance disqualification for 3rd degree felony on theft charge [ 0 Answers ]

Five years ago I had a forgery charge reduce to a (3rd degree felony) theft charge and a theft by check dismissed. I'm requesting and eligible for non-disclosure of the offense after 2009. Presently I hold a security clearance TS/SCI and due for renewal in 5 months. Can I still be eligible...

Security Clearance [ 2 Answers ]

I have been accused of second degree assault twice by my spouse and I am up for my first hearing on the 16 Dec 08. My concern is that being in the military requires that you maintain your security clearance. With this accusation on my record will it cause me to lose my clearance? If I accept a...

I have had my final interview for my clearance in Aug 1st. How can I find out when will I be getting my clearance? Who should I contact? Any answer? Thank you very much.

I did the same mistake and my situation is like you, $75 ticket from police and $487.98 from the store and I did paid both of them but my question is: does it show on my Security Clearance? I had an interview with a government agency and they asked my authorization to check my Security Clearance ...

To Whom It May Concern, A few years ago I went to jail for petty theft. However, I did community service so that it would not show on my record, which turned my case to disturbance of the peace. In addition, a year later I filled a motion to terminate my probation early and to obtain...

View more questions Search