Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gurnzee Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Dec 29, 2004, 11:28 AM
    Furnace coil blocked?
    Our furnace heater coil is only 5 yrs old. We have little hot water pressure throughout the house. We have been told the coil element in our tankless system is blocked and we need a replacement coil. It is going to cost at least $650. An option is buying a separate water heater for $1600. We are told this would be more efficient during the summer months because the furnace will not have to kick in and our oil bill would decrease. Also we would be able to have 2 showers going and the dishwasher,etc. We are on a well and we do have certain minerals evident. We have installed filters on the incoming water well system. This seems to have made a big difference over the past 1 1/2 yrs. I feel that the coil was damaged early on. Are we being scammed? What would you do? It seems the new water tank would be efficient in the long run. Thanks.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2004, 11:45 AM
    Is $1600 installed? I know oil runs a little more, but that sounds high. I was just appalled our church spent $2200 having an 80 gallon commercial gas water heater installed. I would think you should be able to buy a 40 gallon domestic water heater for $300-$400 and no more than that for installation.

Plumbing can lime up fairly quickly. Likely what you were told about the coil is true. When you said filter, did you mean an ion exchange or reverse osmosis unit? Without one or the other, count on expensive plumbing repairs.

If Speedball doesn't answer soon, repost the question in plumbing and see what he says. He has installed many water heaters and knows what he is talking about. I am mostly guessing.
    gurnzee Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Dec 29, 2004, 09:26 PM
    Thanks for your input. Yes it is $1600 installed. They claim it will take 4-5 hours. The filter we installed is in the area of the water pump or where the water first enters the house. We also have one on the washing machine water valves and it has made a great difference. No more orange! We know we can get a system ourselves but this is where we end... we have to pay for the installation so we only end up saving about $200 and if our oil company does it we have someone to hold accountable and call if something goes wrong. Thanks again

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blocked memory [ 6 Answers ]

For the last 10 years I have dealth with and overcome depression which stemed from my relationship with my dad who mentally abused me over the years. Recently my older sister told me that he hit both her and my other sister and I witnessed it constantly from when I was aged 5 to 10 years old. I...

Buying a replacement furnace [ 4 Answers ]

I live in a cape cod style home. I currently have a lennox gas furnace Which is 18 years old and the electronic ignition is going bad. I have been looking at the following: Lennox (80 percent) Carrier, and Goodman. I only plan to stay in the home for 3 to 5 yrs. More. The house is 52 yrs. Old....

Gas furnace runs two cycles [ 1 Answers ]

My gas furnace is approx. 30 years old. The furnace will run one cycle, shut off and approx. 15 seconds later run again for a shorter period. Everything is working properly, heating correctly etc. but runs two cycles. Any thoughts on why?

Furnace blower [ 1 Answers ]

I have a older home with a older furnace. I started it up this fall and the blower continues to run after the house has warmed and the themostat has turned off. The blower runs and runs, blowing cool air. To stop it I have to turn off the main switch to the furnace. What do you think the...

Air/Furnance Blower [ 1 Answers ]

Our air conditioning was working fine until last week. Now after it is on several hours the blower quits running. The air conditioner is still running. I shut the whole system off for an hour or so and the blower on the furnace comes back on. We had the relay switch replaced last winter when...

View more questions Search