Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mjb82 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2012, 11:07 AM
    He said he was dad then he said he wasn't
    My sons father moved in with me when my son was 2 months old and said to many he was dad and a month later moved out and said he wasn't. Between then and now, my son is currently 7 months old and he failed to communicate with us, ignored us. A day ago we got the DNA test to prove he was my sons father and it was 99.99% proof he is. But still won't help, I am wait for a childsupport hearing. I want him to win off so my current parent can adopt him as he has been there since was 3 months and has been DADDY to him. My son knows no one else but him. He has a history of walking out on his other 2 kids many times. What rights do I hold?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2012, 11:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjb82 View Post
    My sons father moved in with me when my son was 2 months old and said to many he was dad and a month later moved out and said he wasn't. Between then and now, my son is currently 7 months old and he failed to communicate with us, ignored us. A day ago we got the DNA test to prove he was my sons father and it was 99.99% proof he is. But still won't help, I am wait for a childsupport hearing. I want him to win off so my current parent can adopt him as he has been there since was 3 months and and has been DADDY to him. My son knows no one else but him. He has a history of walking out on his other 2 kids many times. What rights do I hold?

Now I'm confused - you refer to the man who moved out (#1) as your son's father. He moved out but Court-ordered and approved DNA proves he IS the father.

Now you want to "win him off" (I don't know what that means) so your current parent (?) can adopt the child and is daddy to him.

Your current parent (?) can't adopt unless the BIRTH father agrees AND you are married. The Court wants a commitment that it believes marriage proves.

Did you realize he walked out on his other kids when you your child?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 21, 2012, 11:31 AM
    Depending on where you are located (any question on law needs your general locale as laws vary by area) only your husband can adopt as a step parent.

And, in any case, the bio father will need to be identified and consent to the adoption. If DNA proves he is the father, then he will be required to pay support.

Jul 21, 2012, 11:32 AM
    I know he had a history of walking out as he did in the beginning of my pregnancy on me, he said he wante nothing to do with me wouldn't Answer my calls and his other kids mother would and still does call or texts and harasses me along with her mother to and police won't help because they haven't made threats to harm me. He tell his ex and the mother of his other 2 kids everything between him and I about my son.

Jul 21, 2012, 11:35 AM
    I know he had a history of walking out as he did in the beginning of my pregnancy on me, he said he wante nothing to do with me wouldn't Answer my calls and his other kids mother would and still does call or texts and harasses me along with her mother to and police won't help because they haven't made threats to harm me. He tell his ex and the mother of his other 2 kids everything between him and I about my son.
    And I meant to say sign off on parental rights, he don't have to balls to file in court himself as he is lazy and do t want the problems of the hearings.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Jul 21, 2012, 11:47 AM
    And I ment to say sign off on parental rights, he don't have to balls to file in court him self as he is lazy and do t want the problems of the hearings.
    He CANNOT literally give up his rights. He may chose not to exercise them.
    What you may expect
    1 To receive child support from him
    2 You may think about step-parent adoption only if your current "PARENT" /?? /is married to you and you have been married at least one/ two years.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 21, 2012, 12:13 PM
    First let me see real bio father lived there till child was 3 months old, when child was still 3 months old, new boyfriend also moved in and has been there since for 4 months.

No the court will not allow adoption yet, almost all require you to be married and married for at least a year. The others will want a long term relationship 1 to 3 years.
    So you will have to get married and/or wait till it is long enough.

The real bio father will have to sign to agree to the adoption.

Many will sign if they can get out of child support, so you should be going after support

Jul 22, 2012, 06:33 AM
    Bio dad was only there a month from when my son was 2 months till 3 months, he stayed about 30 days then left and stopped talking to us. I have talk to a legal adviser and they said that because he walked out, failed to provide and because he is not on the birth certificate and because I am his birth mother I have all legal and parental responsabilities and until the court has a hearing and he is put on the certificate I can do what I need. With the limit that the currents partner has to wait till its bee a year and we are married and that should be soon. Thanks everyone for you opinions and advice.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 22, 2012, 06:47 AM
    Bio dad was only there a month from when my son was 2 months till 3 months, he stayed about 30 days then left and stopped talking to us. I have talk to a legal adviser and they said that because he walked out, failed to provide and because he is not on the birth certificate and because i am his birth mother i have all legal and parental responsabilities and until the court has a hearing and he is put on the certificate i can do wat i need. with the limit that the currents partner has to wait till its bee a year and we are married and that should be soon. thanks everyone for you opinions and advice.
    Yes, I believe we got all that history. It appears that this "legal advisor" to whom you spoke reitereated what we have told you. Good luck.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2012, 06:56 AM
    Bio dad was only there a month from when my son was 2 months till 3 months, he stayed about 30 days then left and stopped talking to us. I have talk to a legal adviser and they said that because he walked out, failed to provide and because he is not on the birth certificate and because i am his birth mother i have all legal and parental responsabilities and until the court has a hearing and he is put on the certificate i can do wat i need. with the limit that the currents partner has to wait till its bee a year and we are married and that should be soon. thanks everyone for you opinions and advice.

In most States you need to be married for a year before you can adopt. Is that what you are repeating?

You still need the birth father's consent in order for yourr new partner (who will be your husband) to adopt.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 22, 2012, 07:15 AM
    What you report that your legal advisor said is correct except for one key thing. Before an adoption can be granted, the bio father will need to be identified and his consent obtained. So, while YOU will have full rights to your child until a court rules otherwise, you cannot take away the bio father's rights, by allowing an adoption to someone else.

So lets look at this scenario. In a year or so, after you have been married long enough you go to court for your husband to adopt. The court will require that you get the bio father's consent. The bio father, just to be contrary, says no and shows up in court to say he wants to be a father now. The likelihood is the court will allow him visitation.

However, if you go after the father now for child support, which will involve him becoming the legal father with rights, then you have some leverage to get him to agree to the adoption. Because the adoption will end his support obligation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My daughter is receiving dissability beniftis from dad. Dad owes arearages is the ss [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter has just starting receiving ss disability benefits off her father.. her father owes arearages. Does the dissability benefit she receives takes get deducted from what he owes.

How to show my dad as my newly immigated dad as my dependent for insurance purposes [ 1 Answers ]

How to show my dad who is new lawful immigrant and will get a green card as my dependent for health insurance and tax purposes

How to break the news to my 12 yr old son, that his dad isn't his biological dad. . [ 4 Answers ]

My 12 year old son, has no idea that his dad is not his biological dad. I need to find a way to sit him down and explain to him, I also need to find a way to talk to my other half about us telling our son. My other half wants to have no part in letting him know, as he says, "he doesn't need to...

My son has a dad and now the biological dad came out of da blue and wants a dna test? [ 5 Answers ]

When I was five months pregnant my sons dad abandoned me and started denying my son, I started dating someone else who didn't care that I was pregnant he still chose to love me and be with me, he even had a few words with the loser when I was eight months pregnant and needed things for the baby...

View more questions Search