Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mike H Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2007, 06:47 AM
    Must remove concrete floor section to replace rotted rod iron drain pipe in bathroom
    What is the best way to remove concrete flooring section in a bathroom? We found a broken rotten rod iron drain pipe when tearing out walls for remodeling and unfortunately (blessing) found out the pipe was rotted. Plumber says to replace with PVC but we have to dig up/cut up the floor ourselves. What can we use to cut the floor safely and easily?; any suggestions would be helpful.
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Mar 4, 2007, 12:09 PM
    Yes, depends on access to area to remove. Using a concrete saw works great but be able to contain the dust by venting out the window, putting up a plastic visqueen curtain for confinement and possibly using water. The powder will fill your house if you don't. Take care on cutting deep. Slab depth is usually 4" thick. Plumbing may be below in the fill. If that pipe was so badly eroded, then there may be more and consider replacing all of it.
    Next, if you are into exercise and sledge hammers great, if not rent a jack hammer. You will be happy you did if this turns out to be a big job. Nm

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cast iron shower drain in concrete floor-replacement [ 7 Answers ]

Hello. This is my first post here and I'd appreciate any help you can provide. I have a tiled shower on a concrete slab. The drain is cast iron... sort of a bowl-shaped 3" dia. opening with a lead seal to a 2"-2 1/4" cast iron pipe. In removing the old "Premier" pull-up drain stopper, the brass...

Broken rod iron drain pipe in bathroom concrete floor [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best way to remove a section of concrete (w/steel rods) from a bathroom floor to remove an old rotten rod iron drain pipe?

How to remove a bathroom drain pipe with popup drain [ 1 Answers ]

I am repalcing a bathroom faucet and the new one came with a replacement drain pipe. How do get the old drain pipe out of the sink? Thanks for you help Steve

Waste pipe in concrete floor [ 6 Answers ]

I have a new home that we have a spare bathroom that was rouged in. The home is slab construction with no basement due to the geology/hydrology in our area. The question I have is this: I have a waste pipe for a future toilet sticking up out of the floor. It looks like it's made of lead. Is...

Converting cast iron floor drain to shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding a bathroom to my basement, which has partial (complete? ) plumbing already roughed into the floor (in 1976). Sewage lift station (vented) is 3 ft from 4" styrofoam plug (toilet), 4 ft from 1 1/2 inch cast male pipe end extending through floor (lav, have already added vertical vent...

View more questions Search