Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    somu_banerjee Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2012, 08:43 AM
    Sending money to india IRS
    Question on Sending money to parents:(I am working on H1b visa in USA)

Hi,I know as per Gift Tax Laws in USA I can send a max money of 13,000 to each parents in foreign country.Beyond that I need to pay gift tax.

Now my questions are

1)if I send money to joint account of my parents(Dad and Mom are joint holders),in that case can I send up to 26,000 US dollars?

2) How to identify the transfer as a gift?Is there a way to do that?

3) Is an online money transfer via ACH debit considered as gift?

Please advise.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 21, 2012, 09:50 AM
    1) Yes, you can gift to your parents a total of $26,000

2) You do NOT need to identify the transfer as a gift.

3) Yes, it can be considered to be a gift.

Now, if you give more, you will need to file a gift tax return, but you will NOT pay any gift taxes.
    somu_banerjee Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2012, 10:08 AM
    Thanks a lot buddy.You are a tax-wizard! My hats off to you.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 21, 2012, 11:13 AM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sending my 12 year daughter to study in india according to uk laws [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I want to send my daughter 12 to india for study. I am divorced from her father for 9 years. He has been giving child maintenance by child support agency until six month ago then it stopped, but he never tried to contact her in 10 years. In my divorce papers it has just been mentioned that there...

Sending money to South Africa from the USA do I have to let IRS know? [ 2 Answers ]

I am investing in real estate in South Africa and my gf's parents will be handling the finances there in South Africa. I need to wire transfer $80,000 to them (bank to bank). Question is do I have to tell IRS I am sending $80,000 to South Africa? Do I have to pay taxes on that $80,000? Is it...

Sending money to ghana [ 6 Answers ]

I have been trying to send money to ghana to get my financee home but western union nor money gram will let me. Is there some other way to send money

I am sending my kids to india for h4 stamping [ 0 Answers ]

Hi I came on b1 b2 visa with my family but before expiring of I 94 I got h1b now I am sending my kids to india to meet there granparents will there be any problem for my kids to get h4 stamping without h1b stamped on my passport.

Reporting Property Owned in India to IRS [ 2 Answers ]

I am an Indian born citizen of US naturalized recently. (a) I purchased several properties over the last 5 years in India. Do I need to report those properties to IRS even though they are in India? (Please note that I rent those properties in India and pay property tax and income tax in India)....

View more questions Search