Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Diderie Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2012, 10:42 AM
    Sneaky defendant
    A continuing garnishment was served on the defendant at work as well as another enployee on behalf of the owner. What are the consequences to the defendant and the other employee if they both purposefully fail to rurn over the garnishment request to the business owner?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2012, 11:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Diderie View Post
    A continuing garnishment was served on the defendant at work as well as another enployee on behalf of the owner. What are the consequences to the defendant and the other employee if they both purposefully fail to rurn over the garnishment request to the business owner?

It some places it can lead to jail time. Where? The consequences should be clearly stated on the notice.

Jul 20, 2012, 11:38 AM
    In Georgia.This defendant would do just about anything to not pay. I know that if the employer does not answer with in 45 days he becomes responsible for the debt.Could be that is what the defendant is trying to pull off.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 20, 2012, 05:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Diderie View Post
    ... What are the consequences to the defendant and the other employee if they both purposefully fail to rurn over the garnishment request to the business owner?
    The writ of garnishment should have been served on the employer of the judgment debtor. The debtor (employee) should also have been served with notice that the employer was being served with the writ.

If the rules in the particular jurisdiction allow the business to be served the writ by service on this particular (other) employee, service is good. Whether the other employee fails to route the writ to the proper person in the organization is not the problem of the judgment creditor. If, as you say, the employer does not respond and becomes liable, that's the way the cookie crumbles.

In the mean time, the "other" employee may very well be fired for incurring such liabillity on the part of the employer. The judgment debtor, however, doesn't appear to have any duty to report.

Jul 20, 2012, 06:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    The writ of garnishment should have been served on the employer of the judgment debtor. The debtor (employee) should also have been served with notice that the employer was being served with the writ.

If the rules in the particular jurisdiction allow the business to be served the writ by service on this particular (other) employee, service is good. Whether the other employee fails to route the writ to the proper person in the organization is not the problem of the judgment creditor. If, as you say, the employer does not respond and becomes liable, that's the way the cookie crumbles.

In the mean time, the "other" employee may very well be fired for incurring such liabillity on the part of the employer. The judgment debtor, however, doesn't appear to have any duty to report.
    . Thank You.

Jul 20, 2012, 06:12 PM
    Thank You
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 20, 2012, 06:14 PM
    The company if they do not pay, if they were properly served, will become liable for the debt very possible. Why not just call and inform the owner of this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sneaky greatgrandmother [ 1 Answers ]

My mother tricked my 24 yr old daughter into moving to missiouri and some how got her to sign over all rights to my grandson whom has always been in Oklahoma till now , the temp.custidy is till schools out in sept 2012

Sneaky backstabber [ 36 Answers ]

I have worked at the same place for 25 years. All this time in the same position. After all that time, there has only been 2 people that I have found it really difficult to work with. But recently someone new is in our "division." I didn't want here there because I knew she was really chummy...

Sneaky boyfriend [ 7 Answers ]

I've been with my boyfriend for four years. Last year me and my friend made a fake myspace for fun with a girl's picture on it. Then a month later the password was changed but I didn't think anything of it. But recently Ive been getting emails about that page since it was registered with my email....

A sneaky nature... [ 18 Answers ]

My husband of 30 years has fantazied with every woman he comes in contact with, even as we are together. He sneaks winks, touchs and speical connections with any woman, regardless if he knows her or not. It seems to be a challenge to see if he can get them to respond. When we are in public he is...

View more questions Search