Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jrwu98 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2007, 01:26 AM
    Are foreign students naturally non-resident aliens?
    I read up a few other questions/answers, but decided to open a new thread instead...
    Like many others, I'm really confused with my alient status!

I originally thought I was a non-resident alien (since I'm still a student), but I am using CINTAX software, and it tells me I qualify for SPT and I'm a resident alien, after I entered all the days that I am in the country each year since 1986 (I was present in this country for a total of 8 different years).

In pub519, it did mention how students with F type visa are "exempt individual" and you shouldn't count the days that you are an exempt indiviual... then I don't qualify for SPT if this applies...

Does that mean, this CINTAX software is not smart enough to calculate those days that I am exempty individual, and I should bypass this section and continue?

At the same time, this document published by my school said:
    2. Aren't all students in F-1 and J-1, which are nonimmigrant statuses, also nonresidents for tax purposes?
    Not necessarily. Your tax status (nonresident or resident) is separate from your immigration status. You may be a resident for tax purposes even though you are still a non-resident for immigration purposes. Generally, if you have been in the U.S less than 5 calendar years, you are a nonresident for tax purposes and will be filing nonresident forms; CINTAX and the tax workshops are designed for you.

---
    Which one is right?? I am soooo confused!! Please help me explain if possible! Thanks so much!
    taxsearcher Posts: 222, Reputation: 8

Mar 4, 2007, 10:50 AM
    If you have held your F1 visa (or previously a J1) for more than 5 years then you start counting your days toward the SPT. It's a little hard to give you advice without more details on your situation.

Mar 4, 2007, 11:48 AM
    I was an fulltime undergrad student in the US from 1998-2002, then I left the country to go home and work, and then I came back to US for grad school from 2005 - now...

I also visited with B1 vistor visa in both 2003 and 2004, but less than a week for each year

And yes, I guess I missed the part in pub519 that mentioned if I'm in the country for more than 5 calendar years then I'm considered a resident alien...

So, I should file 1040s instead of 1040NRs? So I don't have to file 8843?

And I don't get the benefits of non-alien residents like not needing to file my bank interests?

And that means I can use turbo tax?

Thanks for your kind help!
    taxsearcher Posts: 222, Reputation: 8

Mar 4, 2007, 12:35 PM
    You were an exempt individual and non-resident for the five year period 1998-2002 (that adds to 5 years).

Use Turbo Tax if you like.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 5, 2007, 11:18 AM
    Agree!

Mar 5, 2007, 12:55 PM
    Another quick question...

I file using 1040... so, I don't get the benefits from not having to report interest & Dividend, but I enjoy the benefits from the tuition credit? Just like a normal US citizen would?

That's actually better for me... since tuition credit is like $2000

Thanks!
    hotcakey Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2007, 01:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jrwu98
    I read up a few other questions/answers, but decided to open a new thread instead...
    Like many others, I'm really confused with my alient status!!

I originally thought I was a non-resident alien (since I'm still a student), but i am using CINTAX software, and it tells me I qualify for SPT and I'm a resident alien, after I entered all the days that I am in the country each year since 1986 (I was present in this country for a total of 8 different years).

in pub519, it did mention how students with F type visa are "exempt individual" and you shouldn't count the days that you are an exempt indiviual...then I don't qualify for SPT if this applies...

Does that mean, this CINTAX software is not smart enough to calculate those days that I am exempty individual, and I should bypass this section and continue??

At the same time, this document published by my school said:
    2. Aren't all students in F-1 and J-1, which are nonimmigrant statuses, also nonresidents for tax purposes?
    Not necessarily. Your tax status (nonresident or resident) is separate from your immigration status. You may be a resident for tax purposes even though you are still a non-resident for immigration purposes. Generally, if you have been in the U.S less than 5 calendar years, you are a nonresident for tax purposes and will be filing nonresident forms; CINTAX and the tax workshops are designed for you.

---
    Which one is right?!?!?! I am soooo confused!!! Please help me explain if possible! Thanks so much!!
    Hi if I were you. Ill talk to a lawyer to answer all your question or go to your embassy ask them.or find a person who know this kind of stuff
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 7, 2007, 01:33 PM
    Sigh...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1st year as a resident alien under L1 visa - Foreign Income / Medicare Taxes [ 11 Answers ]

Hello, We arrived together with my wife and my son March 1st 2006 on a L-1 visa (L-2 for my wife and my son). Before this date, we were resident of France. Our stay in the US could be from 1 to 3 years (could end this year or next year). After that, we will be again resident of France. Our stay...

Non resident alien foreign trust return required [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there Just wondered if you are able to help with two questions I have an investment account with a brokerage firm, where I buy and sell shares, receive dividends from US listed and non US listed companies (on the stocjk exchanges). My account was setup as a complex foreign trust with my...

E-Filing for Non resident Aliens with L1 Visa [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am from INDIA. My Stay period for the Year 2006 in USA is less than 183 days, I am with L1 work Visa. Can use the Free e-file service from IRS. If not can I use 1040EZ instead of 1040NREZ? If I have to use only 1040NREZ for how much standard deduction I am eligible to? My employer...

Affordable online class for foreign students [ 5 Answers ]

Any ideas about institutions offfering undergrad level course online at affordable prices for international (F1 visa status) students in US? I notice they have us pay three times as much as state residents in community colleges for online classes, is it same everywhere or am I just not...

1040 for Resident Aliens [ 3 Answers ]

I am on F1 Visa status since Dec 2003 and currently on OPT. I went through the instructions in details, at: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040nr.pdf On page 2 of 45, I pass the substantial presence test. Does that mean this makes me "resident alien for tax puproses" and I can fill 1040. ...

View more questions Search