Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sheedeals Posts: 6, Reputation: 0

Jul 20, 2012, 08:38 AM
    Can interest on loan claimed for tax both in foreign as well as home land
    I hv a property in India on which I have an emi going on. If I claim the interest on loan while filing tax in Forign land US can I claim this deduction in homeland too?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 20, 2012, 08:43 AM
    You have not provided enough information about the property to determine if you can claim the interest on the loan as a tax deduction.

Is the property a RENTAL property? Is it a building, apartment complex, single-family home?

Are you filing as a RESIDENT of the United States or as a non-resident?

Further, this forum deals exclusively with U.S. taxes and cannot comment on any foreign tax issues.
    Sheedeals Posts: 6, Reputation: 0

Jul 21, 2012, 12:49 AM
    This property is an apartment. I am paying emi. I'm alien resident and file tax return here n have included the interest on loan here in US. Is it right what I am doing?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 21, 2012, 07:42 AM
    If the apartment is a rental property, you report the rental income and the interest paid (as a deduction) on Schedule E.

If the apartment is a personal home (either primary or secondary), then the deduction can be made on Schedule A. However, to count, the itemized deductions must exceed the standard deduction, which is $5,900 if you are single and $11,800 if you are filing a joint return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

State tax for Ohio for foreign capital gain and foreign earned interest on the amount [ 4 Answers ]

Does one have to pay state tax on foreign capital gain and foreign interest that was earned during that year?

Any tax benefit on interest paid on education loan from a foreign bank? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello.. I am an indian citizen and working in the US. I was on OPT and then on H1-B in the year 2010. I also paid off my education loan(taken from an indian bank) during tha part of the year while I was on H1-B. Can I receive tax benefit for the interest paid on the education loan? Please help me....

Home mortgage interest deduction for foreign property on US tax return [ 41 Answers ]

Hi, I am on an H1B visa and have been working in the US for 4+ years. I purchased a condo (only property I own) in India 3 yrs ago (2006) and got a mortgage (through a bank in India). I make a monthly mortgage payment out of my salary here (I have no other income) to this bank in India. On...

Property tax and mortgage interest foreign 2nd home [ 2 Answers ]

I am a U.S. citizen considering purchasing recreational property (2nd home) in Canada. May I itemize the property taxes that I pay to Canada as well as any interest paid on the mortgage?

Tax deduction for interest on foreign loan [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am a Swedish citizen living in Sweden and I am in the process of buying an apartment in NYC. I will be subletting the apartment for most of the year and my questions are: 1) How much is the tax on the income from the subletting? 2) If I finance the purchase with a loan from my bank in...

View more questions Search