Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sofiadevine Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2012, 11:25 PM
    Being sued
    I rent a home with 2 roommates. One claimed he slipped and fell on my dog's urine in a common area of the house (living room). And needed to have surgery for his "Broken arm". How to prove it was my dog and not my other roommate (by the way, I rent, not owner of the home. The 70 year old man that is sueing me for 100k knew we have animals when he moved in and lived there practically 3 months after his "slip and fall". We have horses, chickens and 3 dogs on the property. Shame people are so letigeous.

Nicole
    sofiadevine Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2012, 11:31 PM
    Also forgot to mention;

My bedroom had the laundry unit inside and everyone had to go into my room to do laundry. Sometimes, the door was left open and my dogs were let out of my bedroom into the common areas of the house.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 20, 2012, 03:08 AM
    First its not a good idea to piggyback your question on another thread. This can lead to confusion. So I've moved your question to its own thread.

I'm not sure if you have a question or were trying to answer a 5 year old question. If you are asking for help please be more specific.

People sue for negligence. They win their case when it can be shown that someone acted negligently causing a hazardous condition. So it matters very little that he knew about the animals. The question is were you and the other tenant negligent resulting in a hazardous condition.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2012, 05:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sofiadevine View Post
    I rent a home with 2 roommates. One claimed he slipped and fell on my dog's urine in a common area of the house (living room). and needed to have surgery for his "Broken arm". How to prove it was my dog and not my other roommate (by the way, I rent, not owner of the home. The 70 year old man that is sueing me for 100k knew we have animals when he moved in and lived there practically 3 mos after his "slip and fall". We have horses, chickens and 3 dogs on the property. Shame people are so letigeous.

Nicole

Without knowing the State it's difficult to know.

He will need to document his injury. Why is broken arm in quotes? He didn't break his arm and/or need surgery?

Whether you rent is immaterial - I'm sure the landlord will also be sued. He would in NY, where I am.

Having horses, chickens and dogs on the property is immaterial. Having dog pee on a floor where it isn't expected is important. The tenant knew you had dogs - did he know they peed on the floor? How long before someone cleaned the pee up? Was this a common occurrence?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 20, 2012, 06:36 AM
    In court he will have to prove his injury, so your attorney requires him to provide all his medical records proving his injury.

If there are various dogs on the property, he will have to prove it was your dog

If this happened several years ago, he will have to even prove it happened that way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Served a summons/being sued for credit card debt/first time being sued [ 2 Answers ]

I have been served a summons by first class mail of a lawsuit against me by an asset collection agency on behalf of a credit card company. The asset company has purchased the debt,in an amount just over $1000. My question is how do I proceed as I have never been sued before. I currently am...

Being sued [ 1 Answers ]

"Hi I live in Massachusetts and have a credit card debt. I haven't worked in the past 6 years .I had to go to court in 7/2008.My last payment on this credit card was in 7/2002. The lawyer asked if I had this type of card I said yes but I didn't tell him how much I owe. He is saying I owe $10,000...

Can I be sued if [ 1 Answers ]

6yrs ago I co-sign for a car for a friend. Then she added someone else to the loan,and I was suppose to be removed. Well to my surprised I received a summons in regard to this vechile. Turns out I wasn't removed. Now the 3 of us is being sued. Well she filled bankrupsty and they claim they can't...

Being sued [ 2 Answers ]

My husband had started a small business putting in irrigation wells and was contacted by a lady that wanted a 4 inch well. She insisted on a submersible pump that was two horse power. My husband was very honest with her and told her he had never put in this type of well but she still wanted him...

View more questions Search