Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    siudave Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2004, 09:46 PM
    Secure wireless network setting
    I am using a wirless router and sharing the internet connection between the desktop and laptop, how to set up the secure network on the wireless router to prevent the unauthorized user to logon to my wireless network to shared the internet connection... pls help.
    cremedies Posts: 304, Reputation: 0

Dec 29, 2004, 09:54 PM
    Okay, you are going to have to give more information. All routers are set up differently. Enabling WEP Encryption is simple but it depends on the brand of router you are using. The easiest solution and most quick is simply to call the router manufacturer for free support. They will walk you right through it.
    TechProNow Posts: 29, Reputation: 2

Mar 19, 2005, 09:26 PM
    WEP or MAC filter
    I agree that WEP is the best way to accomplish this, and is sometimes complex.

But there are other effective option. Using a MAC filter is sometimes much easier (not as good, but good enough in most home LANs).

When you get into your router configuration, you can go to the "wireless security" section, and there is usually a sub-menu that says "MAC filter".

You can click the "clients" tab and get a list of computers in your network.

Match the MAC address up that belongs to your computer by going to:
    :: Start - RUN, then type "cmd" press "OK", now you are at the DOS screen. Type "ipconfig /all" The last thing listed will be the "physical address"
    Get the "physical address" for the "wireless connection" (that will be listed above and you may have more than one adapter, so look carefully).

Write that address down, and match it up in your router configuration where we left off.

Let your router allow that address access or "permit".

It all depends on the equipment.

If your router has a "help file" in the configuration section. You can easily learn how WEP works.

To get to the router configuration, connect your PC with a Ethernet cable to the router. Type in the gateway address (this can also be found by going to IPCONFIG /ALL), or look in the instruction manual. Usually it is something like: 192.168.1.1 or some variation of that address.
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Mar 20, 2005, 06:10 AM
    Once you get to the correct configuration page in your router web interface, be sure to do at least ALL of the following:

1) Turn on encryption. WEP is okay but certainly not breakable. Use something stronger if it is supported. Set a passphrase.
    2) Disable SSID broadcast.
    3) Change the default SSID name
    4) Turn on the MAC address filter, as described above.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wireless Network installation [ 8 Answers ]

I have just purchased a router and 2 laptop cards. Does anyone know of an 'idiots' guide to installing the equipment. I really do mean an 'idiots' guide including every single step. I can get nowhere with the instruction manuals that come with the hardware

Wireless network expansion [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Netgear MIMO 108mbs router and 2 54mbs cards on laptops. I live in a log house and my office is upstairs. No problem with access downstairs and about 60 ft from router. My bedroom and laptop are another 30-40ft from the accessible points. I can get online with slow speed, but keep...

Wireless network security [ 4 Answers ]

I have just gotten a router and set up a wireless net environment in my home. As I live in an apartment, I think it can be easily picked up by anyone. Therefore, I was wondering if there was any way or program I could use to make it secure. Also, I rather not use the WEP provided because it...

Setting up an Internet Lan wireless Network [ 4 Answers ]

I am trying to get wireless internet for my house and I am totally clueless so I hope you guys could help me out here. Firstly I want to share my internet between like 3-4 computers (2 desktop, 2 laptop) through a wireless router. I also hope able to connect all of them through a lan network...

View more questions Search