Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ladyseldom Posts: 6, Reputation: 0

Jul 19, 2012, 10:01 PM
    Is this free
    Can a ghanian passport be purchased in the US instead of Ghana?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 19, 2012, 11:23 PM
    Is someone asking you for money? Sounds like the typical Ghana scam.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 20, 2012, 03:45 AM
    A passport can't be "purchased". It is granted by the government where a person maintains citizenship. There are usually fees involved.

I suggest you search for Ghana and scam to get more information

Jul 20, 2012, 06:31 AM
    What I want to do is pay for Ghana passport for my two children here in the states instead of Ghana.Can that be done?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 20, 2012, 06:42 AM
    You may use a passport service in the US, that will do the passport for you in Ghana,

And/or if the children are in the US, you may do it at the Ghana embassy here in the US.

You have to do the passport where the children are at. If the children are in Ghana, the passport is done there, if they children are in the US, you do passport here.

They cost 130 dollars and you get them from the Ghana government, they are not bought, there is a processing fee of 130 dollars.

GhanaConsulateGeneral\passport

Jul 20, 2012, 08:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyseldom View Post
    What i want to do is pay for Ghana passport for my two children here in the states instead of Ghana.Can that be done?
    Why do you need a Ghana passport for your children in the states? Are you confusing a passport with a Visa? A passport is an identity book issued to a citizen of a country to identify and track them when they travel outside their country. So unless your children are citizens of Ghana, I don't understand why they need Ghanese passports.

If you plan on traveling to Ghana, you may need a visa, which is permission to enter a country. Usually a visa is not needed for a tourist visit.
    Expert

Jul 20, 2012, 09:52 AM
    Agreed, I assumed, She is from Ghana , children born here and she failed to ever get a passport or visa for them.

They need to more fully tell the story,
    Are you US or Ghana citizen.
    Where are you now living, US? GHANA?
    Where are the children now living ?
    How old are the children, 4 years old or 30 years old, makes a difference

Jul 20, 2012, 10:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Why do you need a Ghana passport for your children in the states? Are you confusing a passport with a Visa? A passport is an identity book issued to a citizen of a country to identify and track them when they travel outside their country. So unless your children are citizens of Ghana, I don't understand why they need Ghanese passports.

If you plan on traveling to Ghana, you may need a visa, which is permission to enter a country. Usually a visa is not needed for a tourist visit.
    Maybe I didn't make it clear.. my children are Ghanian citizens. I want to bring them to U.S. since I really didn't want to send money to Ghana, I wanted to pay for it here.I've been to Ghana and know about getting a visa.It would just be easier for me if I could pay for it here.
    Expert

Jul 20, 2012, 10:13 AM
    You should be able to present all the needed items ( if they are minor children not adults) to the Ghana embassy along with payment, if you are the parent. They will have to mail you photos and so on to use.
    But I am sorry these are your chldren, so are you not sending them money all the time, what fear do you have about sending money to your own children. Send a check, they take it to the bank and cash it or deposit it. Who are they living with in Ghana if you are in the US

How old are the kids

Jul 20, 2012, 11:36 AM
    If they are Ghanian citizens, then you have to obtain passports for them from Ghana. You may be able to make payment for the passports to the Ghana embassy in the US.

If they are just coming for a visit, then a passport should be all you need. If you plan on them living in the states with you, then you need to contact the US Immigration department to see what you need.

Jul 21, 2012, 10:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    You should be able to present all the needed items ( if they are minor children not adults) to the Ghana embassy along with payment, if you are the parent. They will have to mail you photos and so on to use.
    But I am sorry these are your chldren, so are you not sending them money all the time, what fear do you have about sending money to your own children. Send a check, they take it to the bank and cash it or deposit it. Who are they living with in Ghana if you are in the US

How old are the kids
    My husband and children are Ghanaian
    I just married in March 2012.. the children are 2yrs and 5yrs and I didn't have them out of wedlock... to you they are considered stepchildren.Their father is there and I do send money as a matter of fact. Lets see.. I think I do this every week even with me being.. retired.I just wanted to pay here because I saw when I was there how prices can change when an American goes to do things.Most people there know he married an American and has treated him differently.Things became higher, for him, while I was there in some places.I was sending money before I married, to the children, because the wages are so low there. Don't be sorry... you assumed I wasn't sending anything because I wanted to pay for their passport at Ghana embassy in the states. What did that have to do with me sending money to my children?All you had to do was answer the question.. ok.I plan to bring my husband and my children here at the same time.Most of the time the children have been left behind as told to me by immigration but I refuse to let that happen! Experts know this is true. My husband wanted to just visit because he didn't know if he would like it here and we planned to go back to Ghana had the tickets round trip. I called all the way to Washington, from Ghana, to see if he could just visit and was told ,yes but when he went to US embassy in Ghana they said No after we had paid the money.. They assumed he wants to live here. So now we have to apply for permanent resident visa. I hope this clear some things for your mind.

Jul 21, 2012, 11:01 PM
    If they are Ghanian citizens, then you have to obtain passports for them from Ghana. You may be able to make payment for the passports to the Ghana embassy in the US.

If they are just coming for a visit, then a passport should be all you need. If you plan on them living in the states with you, then you need to contact the US Immigration department to see what you need.
    Thank you so much for answering the question. One of the people on here thought I wasn't sending money to my children. Fr_Chuck is ready into things wrong.. so thanks for you being professional. I appreciate it.

Jul 22, 2012, 05:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyseldom View Post
    Thank you so much for answering the question. one of the people on here thought i wasnt sending money to my children. Fr_Chuck is ready into things wrong..so thanks for you being professional. I appreciate it.
    In Chuck's defense, your question was very vague. There are a lot of people being scammed by Ghana love scams. Our motivation was to protect you. If you had explained more in the beginning the responses would have been different. The question you should have asked:

I am a US Citizen married to a Ghanese citizen and I have step-children. Can I pay in the US for passports for them to visit me here in the US?

Can you blame US Immigration for being suspicious that he will stay here and not give him a tourist visa?

I hope this works out for you.

Jul 22, 2012, 12:36 PM
    In Chuck's defense, your question was very vague. There are a lot of people being scammed by Ghana love scams. Our motivation was to protect you. If you had explained more in the beginning the responses would have been different. The question you should have asked:

I am a US Citizen married to a Ghanese citizen and I have step-children. Can I pay in the US for passports for them to visit me here in the US?

Can you blame US Immigration for being suspicious that he will stay here and not give him a tourist visa?

I hope this works out for you.
    You are right it was vague but the question was what I wanted answered. You answered the question without assuming no money was being sent to children. That's because you didn't carry it into your opinion mode.You were professional about it.To be truthful, it wasn't his business if I sent money or not.To say he was sorry for the children without knowing all the facts to me was way out of line.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Free dell optiplex gx270 multimedia audio controller driver and/or free software [ 1 Answers ]

FREE FREE Software or driver for audio,video and multimedia controller. NO COST

Is there such a thing as FREE people finder free search free results [ 4 Answers ]

Or free address, phone or email search

View more questions Search