Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    desi_gizmo Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2007, 09:40 PM
    2006 Tax Filing Queries - ITIN/NY-NJ/H1-H4
    Here's background:
    I'm on H1B visa, working in New York since Mar 2006.
    I'm residing in New Jersey since Mar 2006.
    I got married in Sep,2006 in India and my spouse joined me in Nov,2006 in US.
    She is on H4 dependent visa and doesn't have SSN or ITIN.

Here's questions about my filing US Income Tax Return 2006:
    1. Do I need to file tax as married filing jointly or separately.
    2. DO I need to file as resident, non-resident or dual resident status? What documents would be required?
    2. Can I claim my wife as dependent?
    3. If I need to file ITIN for her then do I need to wait for filing my tax return (both Feferal and State) OR I can submit her ITIN form alongwith my tax return (both Feferal and State).
    4. Do I need to file state tax both for New York and New Jersey?
    5. Can you recommend anyone in Jersey City/Manhattan who can assist in filing ITIN, Federal and State Tax return

Thanks in advance to those who have the patience to answer all the queries :)

- Desi Gizmo
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 5, 2007, 11:09 AM
    1 & 2) You can file dual-status and claim her as a dependent, or file jointly and BOTH be considered as resident aliens for all of 2006.

3) You need to submit Form W-7 for the ITIN along with your federal tax return.

4) When you get the ITIN back, you then file BOTH NY and NJ state tax returns.

5) Email me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax filing status if on H-1 since Oct 2006? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I came to U.S in July 2004 on F-1 visa and filed 1040NR-EZ for 2004 & 2005. I graduated in May 2006 and started my job on OPT from June 2006 until Oct 2006 and continued on H1-B after that since my approved H1-B visa started in Oct 2006. My questions are: 1. Do I file as a resident or...

Tax filing when on both F1 and H1-B in 2006 [ 3 Answers ]

I am a resident of India. In 2006 I was on F1 status until October 2006 and then on H1-B status from Oct 2006. My husband who is also an Indian citigen is on F1 status for the year 2006. How do I file the tax returns, joint or single? Which form I have to use? Can I go for standard deductions...

ITIN, 2006 filing [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a resident alien for tax purposes (H1) any my spouse has a H4 visa. She has been in the US since Feb 2006. I would like to file my returns for 2006 as 'Married filing jointly' I have seen many threads in this forum about obtaining ITINs. I understand that I can apply for the ITIN...

2006 Tax Filing Form? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Tax Experts, I am holding H1-b visa and my wife is H4 visa status during 2006. Our baby born is Jan 2006 and Baby is US citizen. I am having following questions? 1) Which form Do I need to use for filing 2006 return and claim my wife and baby as a dependent? Thank you very much, ...

Tax filing for 2006 [ 5 Answers ]

Hi: My husband and I came to the US on Sept2000 with an F1, and travel to Costa Rica (CR) every year for 20-30 days in dec/jan.Been filing married filing separate 1040NREZ as advised at my University.No treaty exists with CR so each of us only claim the standard deduction ($3200 for 2004).I will...

View more questions Search