Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BNBJul19 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2012, 07:33 AM
    Regulatory/Tax implication of India to US wire transfer
    My father who is an Indian citizen would like to wire transfer approximately $100,000 to my bank account in the US (I am a US citizen) for the college expenses for my son (his grandson). Please let me know if this would be legal, and what regulatory and tax rules if any would apply to this transaction.

Thanks
    B N Bose
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 19, 2012, 08:10 AM
    Mr. Bose:

There are NO transfer taxes in the United States, and the transfers is NOT considered to be income for taxes purposes. Hence, there are no tax implications.

You MAY need to submit Form 3520 to report the transfer, but that is an INFORMATION only submission, with NO taxes due.
    DaB123 Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Jul 19, 2012, 11:34 AM
    And if the transfer is less than 100K, there is no form 3520 filing requirement.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 19, 2012, 11:44 AM
    Yes, that IS correct. If the transfers for the calendar year do NOT exceed $100K, then Form 3520 is NOT required.

Jul 23, 2012, 06:08 AM
    Thanks. Please advise what paperwork I should obtain from my dad supporting the transaction to be ready to answer any questions that IRS may have when I file returns in Apr 2013. (I have a question out to H&RBlock, still waiting to hear back)
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 23, 2012, 07:09 AM
    You probably have all the needed information, as to from where the money came and the various account numbers involved.

Jul 23, 2012, 08:00 AM
    Ok, I was wondering if my dad should write a letter stating that this money is for his grandson's college education.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 23, 2012, 08:25 AM
    If you want to have that letter in your file should the IRS ask, that may not be a bad idea. But do NOT send it in with the Form 3520.

Jul 23, 2012, 08:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    If you want to have that letter in your file should the IRS ask, that may not be a bad idea. But do NOT send it in with the Form 3520.
    But I wasn't even going to submit a 3520 since the amount won't be > 100,000, is that OK?
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 23, 2012, 08:38 AM
    Yes, that is fine.

Note that if your father transfers the money to your bank account in India, then you transfer the money to your U.S. account, you will have to submit the FBAR because your Indian accounts exceeded $10,000, even if it was for only a day or so.

Jul 23, 2012, 09:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    Yes, that is fine.

Note that if your father transfers the money to your bank account in India, then you transfer the money to your U.S. account, you will have to submit the FBAR because your Indian accounts exceeded $10,000, even if it was for only a day or so.
    I do not have any bank accounts in India, he is going to transfer directly from his account to my account in the US.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 23, 2012, 09:34 AM
    Okay; just covering all the bases.

Jul 23, 2012, 10:09 AM
    Thank you for your help.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 23, 2012, 10:20 AM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax calculation on large amount of money sent from India as wire transfer. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am a new immigrant into the US. I currently own some property in India (where I originally belong to) which when sold would accumulate a net worth of USD150,000. I plan on using this amount to purchase a house in USA for my own residence. Also, my father wants to send me USD 300,000 as...

Return to india on H1B - tax implication [ 2 Answers ]

Hi - I am on H1B visa working in USA for last 6 years and am planning to relocate to india over the summer (May-June 2010) and I have few questions around the tax implications I would have from my relocation: Facts: 1. I have 3 dependents (Wife is India citizen and has no income, 2 children...

Tax implication on house transfer to son who takes care of Dad [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Ohio, we have taken care of my father-in-law in his house for the past 4 years. We have been advised that the house may be transferred to my husband because we have kept him from a nursing home. He has Alzhiemer's disease. If we transfer the house will there be any taxes we have to pay...

Tax implication when returning to India for good [ 6 Answers ]

I am an Indian working in L1 visa for last 5 years in US and want to go back to India in Feb 2008. I have questions on Resident Status in US and India for the years 2007 and 2008. I have spent only 150 days in India in the years Jan 2003 to Dec 2007 and the remaining time is in USA. I came to US in...

View more questions Search