Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dental-smile Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2012, 08:36 PM
    Is it a HIPAA violation if I write an email to a patient's provider & cc a union rep?
    I work for a dental school, and our front desk staff was rude to a both me and my patient. And taking into consideration that my manager has it out for me, but knows that I'm union protected, I wrote an email to this manager and cc'd my union rep to have the incident documented. I wrote in the "subject" field as follows: "Pt: (name of patient) # (patient's chart number) and the disrespect of front desk staff, (name).
    Because of this, my manager is saying that I violated HIPAA regulations, but I didn't spell out that she was a patient, nor did I state that the number was a chart. Am I screwed, or is my manager wrong??
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 18, 2012, 08:51 PM
    Of course you gave patient name ( she was not there looking for a lost dog) and of course it is obvious it was a patient ID number of some sort.

The issue is, if this was a formal union complaint, are you allowed to give that information.
    Dental-smile Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2012, 08:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Of course you gave patient name ( she was not there looking for a lost dog) and of course it is obvious it was a patient ID number of some sort.

The issue is, if this was a formal union complaint, are you allowed to give that information.
    It was actually both, a complaint to the providers and my union representative. The only reason why I included my union rep was because of a past incident when I called out on one of the dentists who was performing malpractice, and the manager tried to have me fired, not for the accusation ( which turned out to be true), but was the fact that I even called him out on it. Since then, the manager has been looking for anything to get me fired, so my union rep and other helpful providers recommended that I document everything and send copies to my rep. With this said, is it still a violation?
    maddy6 Posts: 108, Reputation: 12

Jul 20, 2012, 11:32 AM
    Dear Dental-Smile,
    I am learning about HIPAA laws right now because of something I am working on. If you want to know for sure, call the U.S. Health and Human Resources Office of Civil Rights. However, you did not reveal any personal medical information of the patient. Your motive was customer relations and appropriate behavior toward a patient. Sounds like the manager is off base and perhaps attempting to turn it on you by diverting the original complaint submitted by you. Here's a link where you can get the phone number to the OCR in your area. Get informed and stick up for yourself with correct knowledge. Office for Civil Rights
    Hope that helps :-)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HIPAA Violation & Rights of an employee [ 2 Answers ]

I recently was terminated from a job after I filed a complaint to HR regarding my supervisors actions. After giving birth to my son and a year of followed ups & downs including a divorce, I suffered from complicated migraines, anxiety attacks and a mild case of depression. Through this time and to...

How do I write a letter for HIPAA violation? [ 6 Answers ]

I want to send a letter to a law firm (Workman's comp) terminating there medical release to my medical records. I am not sure how to do it? They violated the HIPPA act. I have already filed a complaint and sent them a letter telling them so but no response.

Hipaa violation? Dentist office released personal records to unknown email account [ 7 Answers ]

I recently asked my dental office to email me a copy of my treatment plan as I had some questions regarding fees. I confirmed my correct email address on paper at the office, on the phone with the office, and in an email sent their account. I was told the next day that my plan was sent to a...

Report immigration violation in California write a email [ 1 Answers ]

My friend has a friend from Serbia, who apply for American visa several times but he was always denied. And then he went to Mexico to try crossing over the border, his brother help him. And they paid some girl to married him. But she get scared and run away. Than he had to go back in Serbia. Than...

Violation of HIPAA disclosure between child's school & Physician's office? [ 2 Answers ]

Thank you in advance for any responses. A child has been re-admitted to school with appropriate clearance after surgery, but with limitations set forth in a physician’s letter. For clarification, a school nurse called the Physician's office regarding some of the restrictions. As the parent were...

View more questions Search