Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kutekate Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2012, 06:22 PM
    Is my cat in labour
    My partner and I were given a cat 3 days ago. She is heavily pregnant, but the previous owner couldn't be sure how far along she was. She is constantly purring and is constantly seeking attention from my partner. She has been sleeping all day behind the sofa, every day since we have had her, but now she seems very restless and is pacing back and fore. She is meowing occasionally and the last time she used the littler box, she left some bloody mucus behind. Can anyone tell me if she's in labour, if so how long is it normally until she would have her babies?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 18, 2012, 06:30 PM
    The bloody discharge might have been the mucus plug, the loss of which usually signals labor will begin soon. Is she looking around for a quiet nest to have her kittens in, maybe a closet or on a pile of towels or clothes on the floor?

Jul 18, 2012, 06:43 PM
    OK, no she's lying by my partners feet asleep, but not properly asleep

Jul 18, 2012, 06:45 PM
    She's also grooming herslef lots and itching her ear constantly and also been sneezing tonight?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 18, 2012, 06:48 PM
    Just go about your normal things and treat her as you always do. She likely will have the kittens, or start having them within the next 24 hours. While she's delivering, leave her alone (don't hover) but keep an eye on her in case there's a problem.

Jul 18, 2012, 06:50 PM
    OK thank you:)

Jul 19, 2012, 03:59 PM
    Still no babies. She appeared to have some contractions last night but after a while she settled and fell asleep and tonight she has awful diarrhea
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 19, 2012, 04:02 PM
    Is a vet still open? Give them a call -- but I am guessing this is also a precursor to labor -- her body is cleaning itself out as a prep for labor. It works that way for humans.

Jul 19, 2012, 04:04 PM
    That's what I thought. I will check with vets thank you

Jul 20, 2012, 04:18 PM
    Hi my cat had 5 kittens, we were concerned because we thought she was lying on 2 of them. Me, my partner and 2 friends saw her give birth to 5 kittens. She has def not left her box but there are def only 3 kittens. Could she have eaten 2 of them?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 20, 2012, 04:25 PM
    The kittens could have been sick or deformed and fated to die. That's usually why a new mother kills and eats them or disposes of them somehow. She may have moved them far from her nest so that you will find them (the bodies) when you clean house.

Jul 20, 2012, 04:32 PM
    She has definitely not left her box at all, but she would have only had probably 10-15 minutes with her back turned away from us. Can they eat babies this quick?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 20, 2012, 04:35 PM
    Either you miscounted or you have a mystery on your hands. Don't you wish cats could talk?

Jul 20, 2012, 04:36 PM
    Yeah! Very confused! :)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 20, 2012, 04:38 PM
    When did she have them?

Jul 20, 2012, 04:57 PM
    Between 9.30pm and 11.30pm
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 20, 2012, 04:59 PM
    And she has been in someone's sight since then? She hasn't had any chance to leave her nest?

Jul 20, 2012, 05:05 PM
    Yes all 4 of us haven't taken our eyes off her
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 20, 2012, 05:24 PM
    Are the two in the bedding? No, it doesn't take long to devour a tiny kitten.

Jul 20, 2012, 05:38 PM
    Def none in the bedding in or out of box :(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is my cat in labour please help [ 16 Answers ]

My cat is showing blood mucus but won't stay in her box, is she in labour, she is 9 weeks now, she is purring a lot too

Cat in labour [ 11 Answers ]

My 7 year old cat is in labour but since the first thing came out she hasn't given birth and its been over 24 hours now I didn't know she was pregnant but can't see movement in her stomach its not that big I think there maybe only one in there,what's the longest time before the first kitten comes...

Cat in labour? [ 2 Answers ]

I don't know how far along my cat is and she is acting very strange. She won't stay still for more than 1 minute. And she never gets on my bed is this a sign that she is in labour?:confused:

Cat labour [ 4 Answers ]

Hi :) :) I have this cat that is pregnant and she is going in her litter tray every other day and what she is doing is very large amounts lol is this a sign and also she likes it on my bed and also under my bed. Is this a sign lol Thanks:rolleyes: :)

Cat About To Go In Labour. [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: What do I have to do for my daughter's cat when she has her kitties? She seems to hide in the basement lately, but we don't want her down there, where else can we set up her box? Also can we pick up the kittens once they're born?

View more questions Search