Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shermanpup123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2012, 10:36 AM
    Ge ecm motor end bell schematic
    Hello
    I work for a HVAC supply (wholesale) I have an associate in EE that I have not used for a while .I am looking to repair some motor end bells .I need to see the schematis because some parts have no #'s AND IT LOOKS LIKE IT HAS AN ACTIVE SOLID STATE COMPONENTS.Any help would be appreciated
    Thank you
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jul 18, 2012, 11:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shermanpup123 View Post
    Hello
    I work for a HVAC supply (wholesale) I have an associate in EE that I have not used for a while .I am looking to repair some motor end bells .I need to see the schematis because some parts have no #'s AND IT LOOKS LIKE IT HAS AN ACTIVE SOLID STATE COMPONENTS.Any help would be appreciated
    Thank you
    Best tip for you and a re-post ! More to come if I can find them

These high efficiency variable speed blower motors are maufactured by GE. They are used in many brands including Lennox, Carrier, Bryant, Payne, York and Trane.

There are two parts to the blower motor.

The two parts are the motor itself and the ECM module that is attached to the blower motor. The ECM looks like a black hubcab and it is attached, to the motor, with two long bolts.

You can remove the ECM module by simply unscrewing the two long bolts. You do not have to remove the blower motor from the mounting.

The motors in different series and brands are often the same. The difference is the ECM module. The ECM module must be matched up exactly or it will not work.

What usually fails on these high efficiency units is the ECM module. A service truck can not possibly carry all of the hundreds of ECM modules that are used in the various brands and series of brands.

However, the part that often fails in the ECM unit is part number SG379 which is a black disc about the size of a quarter in the center of the ECM.

You can look at the SG379 disk and often tell it has failed without any further checking. The disk will often be broken, brittle or disconnected from the circuit board, and there will be an obvious spot on the circuit board that has received a lot of heat. As long as the board is not broken, or deformed and the traces are in place, then this componet can be replaced. This component is designed to take a lot of heat and the circuit board will be discolored from the heat. This is normal and this is common.

This propierity part is a thermistor and it is used for surge protection as well as regulating the current to the motor.

SG379 has a finite life and like a light bulb it gets weaker and weaker until it finally just fails.

Although not available from GE or any or the HVAC companies, a SG379 part substitute, manufactured to OEM standards, is available from amazingkeys.com and can be soldered into the ECM circuit board in about 5 minutes.

If you are a serviceman, you can keep a few of these parts on your service truck and have the unit up and running in one service call and not have to replace the motor or the ECM. This also saves the customer a $1500 blower motor replacement or an ECM replacement.

Jul 18, 2012, 12:13 PM
    More info
    Attached Images

Jul 18, 2012, 12:35 PM
    More stuff
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf EG_AH_Installation_Guide.pdf (309.0 KB, 213 views)

Jul 18, 2012, 12:51 PM
    BTW the schematics are proprietary information and not available unless you work for the manufacturer under normal circumstances.
    fsudal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2012, 10:46 PM
    The SG379 component is hard to find. I contacted RTI Electronics who manufactured the part and they indicated that SG405 was a suitable substitute with the same specs. Both are rated at 1 ohm, 30 amps. They went on to say that any inrush current limited rated 1 ohm, 30 amps would work just fine. I actually wound up ordering SL32 1R030 from Newark electronics since the others are either impossible to find or are only sold by companies that have minimum order requirements. The SL32 1R030 cost $2.36. There are ECM motor module repair kits ( VZREP) offered by Zebra Instruments but after researching the specs and calling Zebra Instruments the component is only rated at 20 amps. I did order an ECM Motor Protector (VZPRO) to help prevent future damage from voltage spikes. While I already solved my problem I spent several days sweating without A/C because the specs for the SG379 are not readily available and RTI Electronics was did not return several of my calls. I wanted to share this information to help he next person who found themselves in a similar situation. Hard to believe that a $2 part almost cost me a $1000 repair bill. Thank you internet!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

PVC toilet flange to cast iron with bell end gone [ 1 Answers ]

I have to connect a PVC toilet flange to a 3" cast iron pipe cut off below a slab (about 5 inches below top of slab. The pipe is exposed OK for a short distance, but not all the way to the next joint, but the cast iron bell was ruined in process of breaking the slab out and had to be cut off. ...

How to program GE ecm motor [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I have a GE ECM motor in a blower I wish to use as a shop/yard fan. It has a elaborate circuit and DC brushless motor. I was able to figure out that one must jump the 1 and 2 pins on the power connector to have it work properly on 120v with info I found on the net. I did get it working...

Is there an ECM located on 1997 CAVALIER 2.2liter motor? [ 0 Answers ]

My friend connected the battery terminals wrong on his 1997 chevy cavalier 2.2liter motor!! We have repaired all burnt wires & checked all fuses & their contacts!! Car receives gas but no spark!! Put ignition module in another car & it started!! Need to know if there is a relay or fuseable link to...

Does the Goodman GMH950703BXAC have an ECM motor? [ 1 Answers ]

I replaced a 40+ year old furnace in October with the Goodman GMH950703BXAC. I applied for the rebate from Consumers Energy and they said it did not have and ECM motor and wasn't eligible. Can anyone explain if they are correct or incorrect?

View more questions Search