Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dabovich Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2012, 10:00 AM
    Can I sue a homeowners insurance for a criminal act of someone living at the home?
    I was at a party the other night when an 18 year old got out of the car walked over to me and my friend on the sidewalk and punched me in the face twice with out any provocation. The first time in the mouth causing 9 stitches through the lip and then a black eye. I've already filed a police report. He lives at home with his parents. Can I sue he or his homeowners policy?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 18, 2012, 10:27 AM
    If you were on the sidewalk, not on the property, then I don't think there is any chance of anyone's homeowner's policy covering your injuries. What do the
    Police say about the incident? Is he being charged? You say it was unprovoked?? No one does that without being provoked into it.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2012, 11:04 AM
    Does your state allow carry permits?
    In my state this guy would have never seen his 19th birthday possibly.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 18, 2012, 04:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smearcase View Post
    Does your state allow carry permits?
    In my state this guy would have never seen his 19th birthday possibly.
    Evidently, in your state they don't require instruction in the lawful use of deadly force, before such permits are issued. If they did, you would, or should, have learned that pulling a gun under those circumstances is probably not lawful. Try that, and you will, and should, end up in prison for a few years to think about it.

To answer the OP's question, one could probably not sue the homeowner who was throwing the part, could sue the aggressor, but could not sue the insurance company of either. If either is sued, they can ask their insurance company to defend; and if the insurer believes the tort is a covered, will defend and pay a judgment if you recover a judgment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trip & fall--can I sue homeowners [ 5 Answers ]

Two story house rent bottom of house .owners had stairs opened up to house ,put stairs back and the moved out.police let them do the job while I was living there.code infocement got them.. Now their son has threned my life to get out I .called police more then 10 times to report this, they look the...

Can I sue a homeowners insurance for the criminal acts of the renters? [ 2 Answers ]

I am a teacher and I used to teach my neighbors (who rent). I subsequently failed them in Algebra. The last two years have been a living hell. They have terrorized me; vandalized me; and threatened me. They have called the police at least 80 times for egregious lies. They beat up me and my...

Can I sue my dad's homeowners insurance for my fall resulting in a broken ankle? [ 10 Answers ]

I recently fell and broke my ankle. The accident occurred while I was visiting my parents home. My dad was shampooing the carpet and left a large amount of water on the tile directly below the staircase. As I came down the stairs I slipped on the wet tile and broke my ankle in three places. I...

USAA refused me homeowners insurance [ 7 Answers ]

USAA refused me homeowners insurance because they found a five year old credit card debt of mine that they had written off (5 years ago). I have been (and currently am) a USAA member for 40 years and have had active auto insurnce with them all that time. The cc debt is apparently $6,000. ...

My Dogs & Homeowners Insurance [ 4 Answers ]

Hello. I live in the Georgia Area, and my Insurance company just cancelled our insurance because we have Pit Bulls. We just purchased this house last month, and had no idea what to ask for from insurance. My dogs are very loving, and sweet... My children have been close to them for years... I...

View more questions Search