Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1nco Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2012, 09:24 PM
    Shingles or Bed Bug Bites
    I have 7 red bite like marks over my left shoulder and shoulder blade.
    I had chicken pox as a child.
    The apartment complex I've moved into turns out to have had a bed bug infestation dating back at least 2 years and I had to have my unit treated just over a month ago (once per week for 3 weeks ending 2 weeks ago).
    I did find bugs prior to the treatment, and bites, but they were lower on my arms and usually one to three.
    These current "bites" were first noticed after I started feeling like I had a sunburn on my left shoulder (which I couldn't have had) and I noticed separate red blotches but not yet bumps; also 2 longer strip mark (same red color of blotches) making me think it was just from my backpack straps (strip marks have since disappeared).
    By 3 days all flat blotches had become bumps, most w a slight pimple like point, and the area still burning like a severe radiating sunburn - which I'm noticing more and more. Day 4, more like oval or welp-shaped bumps - still burning.
    I've found the same images online of both shingles and bedbugs - I did actually comment on a burning (like acid) stomach ache last week, and was so tired I could barely function, which I've read might be a precursor to shingles... although at the time I thought it was just stress for having to pay to live in a place with recurrent bed bug and roach infestations.

Can anyone tell me if these are bed bugs again - 2 weeks after final treatment - or shingles? I would simply visit my doctor if I'd not just had my annual, and out of pocket since I have no insurance through my job... and my doctor couldn't do anything if it did turn out to be resilient complex bedbugs (frankly I'm hoping it is shingles - at least that I can see an end date to).
    Thanks
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 17, 2012, 09:33 PM
    I've had shingles, so it might be that. Your best way to find out is by going to a doctor who will give you meds to alleviate the pain and shorten the length of time if it's shingles.
    lefthookpunch Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Mar 5, 2013, 07:57 PM
    Well after said 3 days it became bumps so there's an active bacteria going around that part of skin. Bed bug bites can also be cured with home remedies. Try to buy some Antihistamine cream (Benadryl is a good one). You can likely get this from any over-the-counter drugstores. Calamine cream can protect dry skin while you body repairs itself. You can also apply some tree oil. Peppermint oil is great to reduce itchiness. Baking soda paste with a mix of a substantial amount of water applied to the bed bug bite marks provides great results as long as you let it linger awhile for 30 minutes. And now my favorite, Lemon juice and aloe vera :) Lemon juice to remove bacteria and aloe vera to speed up healing process. Cool eh?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I tell if bug bites are parasites from within my body or bug buts found home? [ 2 Answers ]

I am finding EVERYWHERE what looks like a piece of tobacco (under magnifying glass, definitely not tobacco). Small sliver-like brown (they look like tiny cigars) pieces of what can only be described as burnt ground beef or coffee grounds everywhere. Also, my cat has ear mites and is being...

Do I have Shingles or bed bug bites? [ 7 Answers ]

I noticed numerous little bites scattered mostly all over my back and all over in my armpits. I also have a few bites on my legs and arms as well, and have a little red lump/blemish under my left eye and near my right nipple that won't seem to go away. The bites are about 2-3 days old now, and...

Scar Tissues from bed bug bites [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Recently I was bitten numerous times by bed bugs and it caused me to have an allergic skin reaction. I had large red skin welts on my arms legs and back:confused: . Im pretty sure that it will leave a scar. Wondered what I could take to give me fast results on fading the scar tissue...

Question about bed bug behavior and bites [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, This question is for an entomologist. We've had a small infestation of bed bugs that we're dealing with. They've been biting me mostly around the torso, and they leave small bumps that itch and stick around for awhile, a couple of days to a week or two, and they each (for the most part)...

Bed bug bites [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently left an apartment infested with bed bugs. I left all my furniture most of my knick knacks stuffed animals books. The rest of my stuff is stored outside.I have not even brought any of my clothes in yet and it has been four months. Now all of a sudden I have these red dime sized...

View more questions Search