Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    klarsenartwork Posts: 42, Reputation: 5

Jul 17, 2012, 09:23 PM
    School loan debt collecting
    Since 1996 the amount you were left to live on was $9,000.00. Debt collectors can take any amount you receive over the $9,000.00. What about the cost of living increase in 2011? Are there any plans to recalculate the amount we are left to live on? What can I do to make a change in this law?

Jul 17, 2012, 09:56 PM
    My ssa is being off-set. The loan is fraudulant. What do I do?
    How can social security allow money to be taken out of my ssa check without ever taking me to court or asking me if the school loan is valid? The loan was dropped due to breach of contract. I know I can send proof from my doctor that I am permanently and totally disabled but couldn't someone have helped me before the debt collectors got their claws in me?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 17, 2012, 11:51 PM
    It isn't SSA's job to ask people what court judgments are all about. Sending proof of disabilty isn't needed because isn't that what got you SS in the first place? It wouldn't prevent attaching your SS check anyway.
    Please explain more about the 'fraudulent loan' and how it was 'dropped' yet ended up going to court without your knowledge?

Jul 19, 2012, 05:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    It isn't SSA's job to ask people what court judgments are all about. Sending proof of disabilty isn't needed because isn't that what got you SS in the first place? It wouldn't prevent attaching your SS check anyway.
    Please explain more about the 'fraudulent loan' and how it was 'dropped' yet ended up going to court without your knowledge?
    After seeing an attorney I have some answers. I have to prove total and permanent disability again even though SS already has this information. When you are totally and permanently disabled the loan is always forgiven.

Why did someone sign off on the off-set amount to be taken in the first place? They are responsible to see who is exempt from student loans.

The owner of the school did drop the loan and gave me receipts showing the amount I borrowed was returned. I found out that they gave this amount back to the pell grant not the stafford loan. They tricked me!

I plan to sue the school due to the original breach of contract when the school failed to provide me with the education I paid for.

The school was at 2,500 enrolled, now only 500 students are enrolled. I hope I can win my lawsuit before the liar is bankrupt.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2012, 05:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by klarsenartwork View Post
    After seeing an attorney I have some answers. I have to prove total and permanent disability again even though SS already has this information. When you are totally and permanently disabled the loan is always forgiven.

Why did someone sign off on the off-set amount to be taken in the first place? They are responsible to see who is exempt from student loans.

The owner of the school did drop the loan and gave me receipts showing the amount I borrowed was returned. I found out that they gave this amount back to the pell grant not the stafford loan. They tricked me!

I plan to sue the school due to the original breach of contract when the school failed to provide me with the education I paid for.

The school was at 2,500 enrolled, now only 500 students are enrolled. I hope I can win my lawsuit before the liar is bankrupt.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/crimin...er-685557.html - should be combined. Same question, different background.
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2012, 05:48 PM
    How can social security allow money to be taken out of my ssa check without ever taking me to court or asking me if the school loan is valid? The loan was dropped due to breach of contract. I know I can send proof from my doctor that I am permanently and totally disabled but couldn't someone have helped me before the debt collectors got their claws in me?

What is an SSA check? I'm familiar with SS and SSD (Social Security Disability). What is an SSA check?

Actually unpaid student loans can be taken out of SSD checks - if that's what you're talking about.

It's called a disability discharge. The usual waiting period is 5 years/60 months of SSD benefits. In some cases a discharge in bankruptcy is required.

Here's a private site but the info is thorough and correct. Student Loans, Bankruptcy, and Social Security Disability

A discharge of the student loans is not a "given."

Actually student loans, unlike "most" other debts, can be collected from SS benefits (including disability).

Come back and let us know how the letter from your physician changes the situation.
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2012, 05:49 PM
    Since 1996 the amount you were left to live on was $9,000.00. Debt collectors can take any amount you receive over the $9,000.00. What about the cost of living increase in 2011? Are there any plans to recalculate the amount we are left to live on? What can I do to make a change in this law?

You have at least 3 threads on this same subject. They should be combined.

What is your source for this figure of $9,000? It's "usually" a percentage. I would like to see the $9,000 information and what type of debt it covers, what State, whatever is involved.
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2012, 04:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post

Joy, you have to read through all the threads. Apparently there is some sort of mental/emotional problem which came to head last night. The posts became blogs which became rants which became - beyond description.

Your questions are never going to be answered.
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2012, 06:06 AM

You don't appear to qualify for SSD according to SS standards. In fact, in your own words "“God has provided all my needs and I volunteer at nursing homes, offer art therapy, and am learning how to open my own business. How great is that?!?”

The Attorney said the loan is "always forgiven?" I'd talk to him/her again because that is not correct. Is he/she aware you are making arrangements to open your own business?

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/marria...ml#post3209743

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collecting a debt after 11 years [ 0 Answers ]

I had a credit card when I was 22yrs old that I never paid. The credit card co. sold my account to a debt collector. To make a long story short my pay check is being garnished for the amount that's owed plus interest it's accumalated over the year. Is this possible? I thought after seven years...

Is a wells fargo education loan a real school loan? [ 1 Answers ]

I am filing bankruptcy due to hard finical times. When I was in school my grandparents co signed on a wells fargo educational loan for me. I don't want it to effect their credit. All school loans are not allowed in a bankruptcy. Is this one a "real" school loan I want to countinue making the...

School closes down and collecting [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I finished my college studies at AIT in mid 2008 hoping that as part of their program, guarantees the graduates to help find a job. However the school closed down (due to non-approval of permit to operate in Toronto, meaning they operated only while permit was pending) at the end of 2008....

Collecting a debt [ 2 Answers ]

I have a corporation in NYS can a personal judgement be collected againts my corp . I also have a joint account with a minor can thi s account be seized the account has the minors social security number.

Fair Debt Collecting [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, A collection company (law firm) recently(June/2007) entered a judgement on my credit report for an old debt that had been charged off nearly nine years ago. The debt was removed from all three credit reports in 2006. After researching, I found online the SOL for open accounts, such...

View more questions Search