Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    menester Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2012, 05:22 PM
    Electrical questions answers
    My mother lives in an older house.
    Some of the outlets are wired with 14/2 w/earth gnd (3 pronged outlets).
    Some are wired with 14/2 w/o earth gnd (2 pronged outlets).
    My mother uses a lot of "cheater plugs" (adapts 3 pronged cords to 2 pronged outlets).
    This leaves the appliance cases ungrounded (no earth protection at all).
    One solution is to rewire the house (ugh).
    Another solution could be to replace the 2 pronged outlets with 3 pronged outlets and wire the earth ground prong to the neutral of the outlet.
    This second solution could place a small voltage on the appliance case due to IR drops in the neutral wire.
    What is your opinion of this solution?
    Is there a better solution?
    Kyle_in_rure Posts: 341, Reputation: 10

Jul 17, 2012, 06:20 PM
    Whatever you do, I would NOT wire the grounds of receptacles to the neutrals. I'm pretty sure this is against code and could be dangerous.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2012, 02:49 AM
    This practice is wrong, incorrect, not allowed by Code, as it is a fire and safety hazard:

Quote Originally Posted by menester View Post
    Another solution could be to replace the 2 pronged outlets with 3 pronged outlets and wire the earth ground prong to the neutral of the outlet.
    This second solution could place a small voltage on the appliance case due to IR drops in the neutral wire.
    It does not apply voltage, but it does allow current to flow in the grounded surfaces.

To provide an actual equipment ground conductor, the only method is to rewire with a wiring method that has an equipment ground conductor.

You may use a GFI device for added safety from ground faults, but this does not provide a ground, any 3 wire GFI protected receptacles must be labeled "No equipment Ground" these labels are provided with GFI receptacles.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical questions answers [ 3 Answers ]

I have a lighting circuit with no earth, what size earth cable shall I put in please? Thank you

Electrical questions and answers [ 13 Answers ]

I am reading 120v to my ceiling fan (where fan connects to ceiling) even when the switches to the fan are in the off position. I have check all wiring connections and they seem to be fine. I have been in this house for 7 years with no problem. Can't figure this one out. How can it have electricity...

Electrical questions answers [ 1 Answers ]

I'm remodeling the kitchen and putting in new appliances . Im putting a 220 line in for a double oven where the refrigerator once was. The outlet where the oven is going is a 4 x 4 box with 1/2" EMT from the breaker box. Two questions: 1. Will 1/2 " EMT accomidate two 8 gauge hot wires...

Electrical questions answers [ 2 Answers ]

Is their as certain distance the back of an electrical outlet needs to be from the outside wall and if there is and I don't meet the requirements can I install a nail plate behind it.

Answers to questions on electrical [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 12 volt battery on a boat with a lot hooked to it ,the question is can I use a pos bus bar for the pos stuff and a negative bus bar for the negative stuffwithout doing any harminstead of having many wires hooked at the battery I'll have one pos and one negative.

View more questions Search