Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dougsdinners Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2012, 02:43 PM
    What wires do I use to hook up a ceiling light I have a red black and white
    I have a Red, White and Black and copper wire coming out of my ceiling and my new light fixture has just a ground and a wire that has to be split, my question is what wires do I hook to from the ceiling... ie black/white red/black red/white?
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2012, 04:46 AM
    It sounds like you have wires for both a fan and a fan light. Are there two switches on the wall? If so, one would turn the fan on/off and the other would turn the fan's light on/off.

It sounds like you are installing a simple light fixture, so you can disregard one of the wires in the ceiling--either the black or the red one. When you say "a wire that has to be split", I'm assuming you mean something like a lamp cord. If so, split the two halves apart and see if one has small ridges on it. If so, this is the one that goes to the white ceiling wire. The other one goes to the black OR red (you pick). The bare wires go together.

Make sure the connections are secure, and not touching the other wires.

I hope this gets you going.
    WallyH

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing light fixture- wires ( red, black and white?) [ 24 Answers ]

Just changed light fixture. When I put the power back on the light worked but the switch on the wall will not shut the light off. In the ceiling there was 3 wires. One black,one white and one red. The fixture that I put up has only black, white and ground. So I attached the black to black,...

3 white wires, 3 black wires on ceiling: switching from ceiling fan to light [ 20 Answers ]

We are trying to replace a ceiling fan with an overhead light. We took down the fan and now have 3 white wires and 3 black wires in the ceiling and are not sure how to wire the light which has 3 white wires and 3 black wires. We tried to connect all whites together and all blacks together. The...

New ceiling light has black, white, red and ground wire. Ceiling wires are... [ 5 Answers ]

Black, white and ground. What do I do with the extra red wire in the new light kit? I didn't have a ceiling fan nor do I want one. Thanks.

Connecting red black tan and wires to ceiling fan with blue black green and white wir [ 2 Answers ]

How to connect red black tan and wires to ceiling fan with blue black green and white wires

Ceiling electrical box only has red and black wires (no white or ground) [ 12 Answers ]

The ceiling electrical box in my kids bedroom only has a single red and single black wire, but nothing else (no white wire, no bare copper ground wire, not even a grounding nut). I bought a ceiling light fixture which has the standard black, white and copper wires (hot, neutral, ground), but I've...

View more questions Search