Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    purplelegs Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2012, 07:29 AM
    Do I have car insurance if my son was at fault
    My 22 year old son was recently driving my car (he does not live at home) and had an accident. He was charged with dangerous driving and was still a novice driver (G2). He had some alcohol in his blood, and isn't allowed any as a G2 driver, so was charged with that too. Will my insurance company cover any of the damages?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2012, 07:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by purplelegs View Post
    My 22 year old son was recently driving my car (he does not live at home) and had an accident. He was charged with dangerous driving and was still a novice driver (G2). He had some alchol in his blood, and isn't allowed any as a G2 driver, so was charged with that too. Will my insurance company cover any of the damages?

Depends on your company - I am seeing companies denying claims when an underage driver who is not listed on the policy was the driving and/or when alcohol was involved.

Did he take the car without your knowledge?

What was his blood level?

Jul 17, 2012, 08:20 AM
    Having trouble replying

Jul 17, 2012, 08:23 AM
    having trouble replying
    Company is Intact. I lent him my car. Alcohol was 107mg of 100 ml of blood.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 17, 2012, 08:30 AM
    I would say more than likely they will try to deny, you will just have to make the c, laim and see. If they do pay you can expect to be cancelled.

Jul 17, 2012, 08:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    I would say more than likely they will try to deny, you will just have to make the c, laim and see. if they do pay you can expect to be cancelled.
    You mean they will cancel my ability to get insurance? Then, I'll have to go to a high risk company? If so, then maybe I'll take my $12,000 loss.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 17, 2012, 08:36 AM
    When you lent him your car, did you know he had been drinking?

Was anyone hurt or was there property damage besides your car?

Jul 17, 2012, 08:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    When you lent him your car, did you know he had been drinking?

Was anyone hurt or was there property damage besides your car?
    No, of course I wouldn't lend him my car if I knew he was drinking. I lent it to him earlier that day. No one else was involved in the accident. No one was hurt. The guard rail on the highway was damaged.
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2012, 08:49 AM
    No, of course I wouldn't lend him my car if I knew he was drinking. I lent it to him earlier that day. No one else was involved in the accident. No one was hurt. The guard rail on the highway was damaged.

I wouldn't say "of course" so quickly - you would be amazed at the people other people lend cars to.

Is he specifically listed on the policy? Is there a specific statement about who drives, the ages, the experience, the level of the license? Was he ticketed for the alcohol?

If you submit the claim it's either going to be approved or denied. Either way I think you're going to be in a risk pool because he's under 25, had a lower level license, was intoxicated.

Not that it matters but Intact writes only in Canada so I'm guessing that's your residence?

Jul 17, 2012, 10:10 AM
    He was not listed on my policy as he doesn't live at home anymore. I removed him when he moved out a year ago so I wouldn't have to pay for him. He's only driven my car a few times during this year. I figured he'd be covered the same as any other person borrowing my car. But it looks like I won't be covered and don't want to tell insurance company so I don't get penalized. He certainly will NOT be using my car in the future. Yes we are in Canada.
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2012, 10:13 AM
    He was not listed on my policy as he doesn't live at home anymore. I removed him when he moved out a year ago so I wouldn't have to pay for him. He's only driven my car a few times during this year. I figured he'd be covered the same as any other person borrowing my car. But it looks like I won't be covered and don't want to tell insurance company so I don't get penalized. He certainly will NOT be using my car in the future. Yes we are in Canada.
    Well, you have two choices. It sounds like he wasn't covered.

You can turn the claim in or not turn the claim in. It's impossible to know 100% what the company will do.

They might pay it and then drop (or surcharge) you. They might disallow. Impossible to say.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 17, 2012, 11:30 AM
    I would expect that your son would be covered by your policy, since auto policies cover people whom you loan the car to. It would be an issue if he lived at home and you failed to list him on the policy, or if he was a regular user of the car, but that's not the case here. So as others have said - report the accident to your carrier and see what they say.
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2012, 11:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    I would expect that your son would be covered by your policy, since auto policies cover people whom you loan the car to. It would be an issue if he lived at home and you failed to list him on the policy, or if he was a regular user of the car, but that's not the case here. So as others have said - report the accident to your carrier and see what they say.

Note that this is Canada, a novice driver. That's the same as a 16-year old in the household with a learner permit and not listing that person.

My policy specifically states that underage or permit drivers are not covered,

This was not an adult experienced driver.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 17, 2012, 01:04 PM
    While they can cancel your policy (though unlikely if you have a good record), they are not likely to be able to prevent you from getting other insurance.

Jul 17, 2012, 01:28 PM
    Thanks everyone for your input into my problem. I still do not want to call my insurance company for fear that just my call of telling them about the accident and then deciding not to put in a claim if my broker says I'm not covered, I will still be penalized with higher rates. I have a long history with our broker, but only a few years with the actual company.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 17, 2012, 01:31 PM
    And when someone in the other car says he/she is experiencing headaches and neck aches and is pursuing medical care that they want you to pay for? Then what will you do?
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2012, 01:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    And when someone in the other car says he/she is experiencing headaches and neck aches and is pursuing medical care that they want you to pay for? Then what will you do?
    Oh, right - or HE has medical problems.

Somewhere there's a dollar figure. What does that represent?

Jul 17, 2012, 02:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Oh, right - or HE has medical problems.

Somewhere there's a dollar figure. What does that represent?
    No one else was involved. We have provincial health care coverage for our son. Yes, it's the dollar figure I cannot wrap my head around. Car loss is around $12-14,000.
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2012, 02:28 PM
    No one else was involved. We have provincial health care coverage for our son. Yes, it's the dollar figure I cannot wrap my head around. Car loss is around $12-14,000.

- Plus damage to the pole or railing, as I recall?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 17, 2012, 04:59 PM
    So let me ask this. How much is your insurance? Maybe $1000/yr? So your rates are raised 20% (and that would be high). That would means it would take SIXTY years for the savings to compensate you for your loss!

Frankly my friend, you are being VERY foolish. Put in the claim.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have car insurance but it's my fault [ 7 Answers ]

OK last night I had an acsidant I hit an suv car on red light no one injure But what is going to happened now? My car is Can not be repaired

Michigan - I was in a car accident, not at fault and have no insurance. [ 7 Answers ]

Does that make me at fault? The man received the ticket for being at fault, and I received one for no proof of insurance. What are the penalties?

Not at fault car accident with insurance, what is the process? [ 4 Answers ]

I live in WA state. I was rear-ended, not at fault. We both have insurance. I hit the car in front and that driver contacted 911 and I was taken to the hospital. My car insurance company has paid for repairs to my car after the deductible and related medical bills. The case is not settled. What is...

At fault car accident, other driver no insurance [ 8 Answers ]

I was parked along a curb and was pulling out into the street. I hit a car that came up along side me. My front/side bumper hit the side of her car (passenger side) towards the back. Clearly this was my fault. She was driving without insurance and didn't want the police called. I offered to give...

No Proof Of Insurance.Car stolen.No Fault [ 5 Answers ]

My car was recently stolen without me knowing and I found this out because it was up town on the side of the road. Apparently the person that stole was hit in the front by an older lady as he was going through a green light. They still haven't caught the man that stole my car. What happens now...

View more questions Search