Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joesgirlkelly Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2004, 07:15 AM
    1 Ram slot on motherboard and it is empty!
    Hello there and thanks in advance for any help you can give.

I have a generic built computer. Recently in trying to upgrade it I discovered some things, this mother board has on board everything! Sound, enet, video, usb, and apparently RAM. I want to upgrade my RAM. In the system properties it says that I have 240 MB of Ram and that is all it says. The system is a 1.8 AMD Athalon, and I have no idea what kind of motherboard it is. I do know that there in only one slot for RAM on the motherboard and it is empty. When I put in my new DVD burner, I checked it out and there is nothing there. So since I am just learning about computers I am wondering how can I tell what Kind of Ram to buy? I sure would appreciate any help that anyone can give me! PS I am running 98 SE

Kelly
    cremedies Posts: 304, Reputation: 0

Feb 5, 2005, 11:47 AM
    Ok, first off, your system ram reads 240MB but your system ram is actually 256MB with 16MB being designated to the onboard video card. This number can be adjusted in the bios to as little as 8MB for the video to leave more ram for the rest of the system but the results of this change will be minimal. Just FYI

Secondly, the type of ram you need to purchase should be easily determined by looking at the paperwork that came with the purchase of your PC if you ever received any. If it is a newly built PC then I would almost guarantee that the memory is DDR type ram. Since this type of ram comes in different speeds, however, it is best to remove the current ram from the system and look for any identifying numbers on the ram itself and make note of them before making your purchase. Better yet, you could remove the ram and carefully transport it to the computer parts store so that they can easily match it for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I feel so empty.. What should I do? [ 5 Answers ]

So I have went through some pretty crazy relationships, but I was always being hurt, or lied too, even cheated on- and finally I thought I found the guy of my dreams. He was amazing- he brought me flowers, drove for four hours at two in the morning to come and see me, and never put me down once. In...

Small tank in loft empty [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, A radiator began leaking a few weeks ago so I switched it off and left it because I was going away. When I went away I switched the Central Heating off and now I'm back, it won't work, the central heating I mean. Won't fire up. To tell the truth last night it did work - but something is...

Small tank in loft empty [ 3 Answers ]

Is your system a two pipe or one pipe system? A two pipe system has a hot supply which feeds the radiator, and the cold goes back to the boiler. A single pipe system feeds through each radiator in a series. Turning off one radiator in such a system will defeat the whole zone. If it is a...

I want to know about pci slot prob [ 3 Answers ]

I have a computer every thing was working fine in it.. (p I've 1.7 mhz) After some day when I added a new sound card its not detceting it But I checked the sound card in another system with same mother board and configaration it works fine But in my PC it doesn't detes in any of the pci slots,...

Pci slot & video card [ 5 Answers ]

I have received a new video card - Gforce fX 5200. It is a PCI version. Looking at the unopened box I found NO requirements. After opening it and reading the users guide I find: "If you have a PCI CARD, you will insert it into an available white PCI 2.1 or above compliant slot." My computer...

View more questions Search