Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DaisyMiller Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2007, 11:18 AM
    When talking about different species of trout, do we say trout or trouts?
    Hello good folks,

Some instinct tells me that some nouns, whose plural is the same as singular, sometimes do take an s when we are talking about different kinds of that thing. I'ts hard for me to explain, so here are some examples.

We would say -
    There is one brown trout in the bucket.
    There are two brown trout in the bucket.

When there are different kinds of trout in the stream, would we say it this way? -
    There are brown trout and rainbow trout in the stream.
    There are trouts in the stream.

This is probably an esoteric point of English grammar, because I haven't been able to find it addressed anywhere. Maybe my imagination is running away with me. Please let me know what you can find.

Susan
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 3, 2007, 11:21 AM
    Trout is correct whether using the singular form or the plural. The word trouts is incorrect in any form.
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2007, 11:27 AM
    Heh heh, you answered your own question when you wrote: "When there are different kinds of trout in the stream, ... ".

Didi
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 3, 2007, 11:28 AM
    Great catch Didi, I didn't even see that:p

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Scientific names of Species [ 3 Answers ]

What are some examples of these two types of Archaebacteria Methanogers Thermoacidophile

Fly Fishing For Trout [ 4 Answers ]

Just wondering if anyone can tell me a good fly to use for catching rainbow trout. I would also be interested in hearing any tips you might have. Cheers

Talking to a girl [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm have problems talking to a girl in school which I really like... I mean love. I don't have any classes with her but I seem to walk by her every now and then in the halls of the school. I always think about saying something but I get scared, with my body heating up and having butterflies in...

Species you consider should be extinct. [ 47 Answers ]

If you had to exterminate three types of animals -which ones would they be? None is not an answer so please! Humans are not part of the choice. What criteria would you use? Me? I'd get rid of parasitic worms, snakes and rats. BTW I was tempted to say the chimp based on its nasty...

View more questions Search