Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Midnight_Angel Posts: 79, Reputation: 3

Mar 3, 2007, 10:51 AM
    Quiting Smoking
    Ok I am 22 and I have been smoking since I was 15. I quit once for about a month and that wasn't that hard to get that first week out of the way, but I was silly and had one now and then before I knew it I was smoking again. I really need to quit, I can't help myself, I have a cigarette and sit there in almost utter depression at the thought that I am knowingly killing myself. But even that barely helps me... Please any tips, support or ideas will be greatly appreciated.
    SmartAlex Posts: 17, Reputation: 5

Mar 3, 2007, 11:55 AM
    Hello friend,
    I used to smoke too. Much more than most people. It is really sad because I wasted a lot of my money and health on cigarettes :(

I have to be honest,without a touch from the Lord I don't think I'd ever have stopped but it happened and I never smoked again . :)

Why? Because I don't smoke.

You see if you decide you DON'T SMOKE,then you don't smoke. Period.

Make it a lifestyle and soon you'll wonder why you ever did because it will seem so ridiculous to be a slave to a cigarette.

You're in my prayers. You can do it. Don't give in . You don't smoke. Remember?
    Sincerely,
    Smart Alex
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2007, 12:30 PM
    Well, congratulations on both wanting to quit AND for quitting for a week! That is a start. You can't let your slip-ups get you down. They say that over 80% of women who quit smoking did so after multiple attempts. When I was enrolled in the addiction counselling program we were told that it was harder to quit smoking than kicking heroin. I have quit smoking several times. The first time was two weeks, then second time was a year, the third time was over two years and the last time was nearly 8 years ago.

There are many products and ideas out there that can help you. There is a prescription drug that seems to work relatively well. There are the cessation aids - filters, the patch, etc. Then there are the "tricks".

1. Wrap your cigarette package in a piece of paper. Wrap two elastic bands around it in different directions. Now put your package away in a difficult spot to get to. Every time you want a cigarette you have to find the cigarette package, take it to the kitchen table, go and get a pen, upwrap each elastic separately, and unwrap the paper. Now, before you light that cigarette you must record the following: Date, time, your feelings, why you think you want a cigarette - what led up to the feeling? This makes you a little more aware of the driving forces behind your addiction which helps you to figure out what you need to do to quit.

2. Destroy all cigarettes you have RIGHT now. Flush them and all ashtrays down the toilet. Now, every single time you crave a cigarette tell yourself that this urge will pass within 2 minutes. Get a drink of water, put some music on the radio, go for a walk, play with the dog... whatever you can do to busy yourself for two minutes. The first little while those two minute cravings will occur frequently, but the longer you don't smoke, the further apart they will become.

3. Pick a goal or a reward... what WILL you do with all that saved money? For me, it was my computer. I calculated how much I spend on cigarettes every day. Then, for each day that I didn't smoke I added that amount of money into a jar. If I smoked even one drag of a cigarette, no reward money. As you see that adding up you become more and more focused upon your long term goal.

4. Don't start smoking just because you cheated once! If you break down and buy a package of cigarettes, have your cigarette, then DESTROY the package!! Also, stay away from people who smoke or situations where you would be most likely to smoke! (ie: in a bar, talking on the phone, etc.)

5. Plan your quitting time. I chose to quit in the evening because every time I had that urge I said to myself, "Just get through tonight without a cigarette, that's all." Then, the next day I told myself, "You have gone 15 hours without a cigarette, try to make it 24." That evening I said, "Only 5 more hours and you'll be in bed. Then you will have made it to another day without smoking." I just continued to bribe myself like that.

6. If you do smoke, don't smoke your regular brand. In fact, never smoke the same brand of cigarette that you have already smoked ever again.

7. Volunteer at a hospice working with people who are dying of cancer or in a Children's Hospital.

Remember, the key is that you must really want it bad enough and not take your setbacks as failures which cause you to start all over again.

Good luck to you! I KNOW you can do it!

Love, Didi
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Mar 3, 2007, 12:42 PM
    Any addiction can seem like the fight of your life. Be sure to be aware of how it needs to be priority number one -- everything else takes a back seat in early recovery. Go easy on yourself, one day at a time, one passed up cigarette at a time. Learn to substitute something else for that lighting up ritual -- I used making tea as a substitute and did it slowly, almost elaborately, like my very own personal tea ceremony. I would deliberately focus my mind on tea instead of cigarettes to help the nagging diminish. I chanted to myself, "this too shall pass" A LOT! LOL

Remind yourself of how good it is to breath by taking big relaxing breaths to counteract the urge too. It helps to remember what you are running to as well as away from. And avail yourself of all the help you want. Join the big thread here about not smoking, or even a local support group -- I'm sure your local hospital would know of one. I have been quit now almost ten years and it is worth every bit of struggle to me. I kept quitting 'til I really did quit!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need your help with smoking [ 1646 Answers ]

Well I haven't had a cigi since 8am this morning it was the last one now I've tried on numerous occasions to quit smoking and I'm just not flipping strong enough to do it I always cave in. Now I know there's no easy way to do this and I have to admit boy am I feeling dizzy and funny but I can't...

Smoking [ 21 Answers ]

Is smoking dope every day bad for you? More bad than smoking cigarettes?

Smoking and drinking [ 2 Answers ]

All of my siblings and my parents smoke and drink. I'm always around them and I can't stand the smell of smoke. I do I get them to stop amoking and drinking?:confused:

Tower-Smoking [ 3 Answers ]

I smoke a lot when I'm using my PC. I know it's bad for both of us. I do have a home smoke filter next to it. My question is, can I use something(what?) in the air intake of my computer without compromising the cooling factor too much. Might it be possible to put an extremely lightly oiled...

View more questions Search