Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mortalsfool Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Jul 15, 2012, 12:16 PM
    How does frost get into a sealed package in freezer?
    My freeze is not frost-free. Why is frost in sealed packages? What causes it?

Jul 15, 2012, 12:20 PM
    How does frost get into a sealed package in freezer?
    Why and how does frost get onto food in a sealed package in a freezer that is not 'frost-free'?
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2012, 09:18 AM
    Water evaporates from the food and condenses on the colder wrapping.

Jul 16, 2012, 10:18 AM
    Thanks DrTom for your answer. I assumed that the moisture came from inside the package, but what is the difference in the surrounding air that is different from a frost free freezer?
    If the temp is the same in both freezers, why does one condence the moisture in the package and one does not? Something's up.

I have always been curious why.
    Jack
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 16, 2012, 10:38 AM
    There's always moisture in the air in the freezer as well as in the food inside the package.
    The frost free one is continually removing moisture and sending it down a little drip tube at the back to a pan where it evaporates (that's the usual method anyway). So in a sense frost is there, just not there long enough to show.
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2012, 09:40 PM
    If a package is colder when put in a warmer freezer frost will form on the outside of the package, plus when the freezer goes into defrost it vaporizes some moisture and that condenses onto the outside of packages.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Frost on freezer [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 3 yr old side by side G E . Frost is building up on the hole where the ice comes out and on the inside on the ice container. The cubes are doing out shaved and look like chips I tried emptying the ice tray and starting again. Didn't work I tried cleaning the grinder. Didn't work I...

Kenmore Elite frost-free side by side, with ice maker, freezer building up frost [ 4 Answers ]

We have a Kenmore Elite frost-free side by side refrigerator with ice maker. It's 2 years old but for the past 2 year+ we've been having problems with the freezer building up frost around the inside, and then the refrigerator doesn't get cold. I have to unplug everything, take the shelves out of...

Frost in Freezer [ 1 Answers ]

GE Refrigerator Model GSS201epc THere is frost in the freezer compartment in the back. The Freezer and food compartment willnot get cold. IT has stopped making ice.

Frost Free Freezer [ 1 Answers ]

My frost free freezer is always freezing up. Please help me to fine out why. Thank you Barb

View more questions Search