Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dmvelasquez Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2007, 08:48 AM
    Incorrect SSN on W2 (for past 3 years)
    I just discovered that the SSN my employer has for me is incorrect. The last digit in my SSN is and "8" and they show it as a "0". I have already filed my 2004 and 2005 returns. I did not notice the error and filled out the returns with my correct SSN, but attached the W2 showing the incorrect SSN. I was never informed by the IRS that there was a conflict.

I have not yet filed my 2006 return. What should I do?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 3, 2007, 09:00 AM
    Your IRS obviously know its you and have the correct number. Did you inform your employer of the correction? Just file your tax return with your SSN as usual. It will all correct itself, unless you want to inform the IRS of the mistake, but how many times will you have to call to do this ? :)

Have you had your 2006 W2 from your employer yet? If your number is still incorrect on it, just correct it.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 4, 2007, 11:40 PM
    Agree with Tickle; the IRS probably corrected it and, for some reason, neglected to tell you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Incorrect W-2 [ 2 Answers ]

My ex-empolyer did not pay me for 8 weeks of work for 2006. Now, I get a W-2 showing he paid me. I have a claim in with the labor dept last year but they did nothing, well they made a phone call but that was it. I have a copy of the only check they did give me for 2006 and it was returned for...

Incorrect info or is it right? [ 2 Answers ]

I am 17, and have been trying to find a sure answer on a question for a while. My boyfriend is 21, and I was wondering if my parents found out we were sexually active, I they could 1) press charges and if they can, then 2) if they can press charges against my will. I live in Michigan, and I read...

Filed 1040 instead of 1040NR for the past 5 years! [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am on F-1 status (Indian Citizen), I was recently made aware that I have been filing the wrong tax form for the past 5 years(1040 instead of 1040NR). The following are the tax forms that I have filed out over the past 5 years and the tax summary 2001: 1040A Gross Income: $1398.00...

Find someone's past years wages [ 4 Answers ]

Is there anyway for someone to find out someone else's past years wages?

Incorrect wiring [ 4 Answers ]

When contractor installed the gas furnece, he did not connect the wires from Central A/C to the furnece. I connected two wires white and red coming from A/C unit to the furnece, the AC unit works but the blower fan of the furnece does not go on. I just need your help to figure out how many wires...

View more questions Search