Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zhaoch Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2012, 07:32 AM
    Bleached carpet, what to do?
    Hey so I just made the mistake of rubbing out multiple stains on the carpet with bleach and needless to say, the carpet is now bleached and needs repair.

Do I have to tell my landlord? Can I just hire a professional carpet dye company and try to fix the problem without my landlord having to know? I'm afraid with the multiple spots around the apartment, the landlord might try and charge me with replacing the entire carpet...
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 13, 2012, 07:48 AM
    Here is a complete article on carpet dying. I don't really think this is your answer if you are renting, it appears not to be cost effective and may not solve the problem.

Actually, I have found that dishwashing detergent on a damp cloth will effectively remove carpet stains; other then that renting a steam cleaner with additional stain remover is a best bet and works well. I don't know what possessed you to use bleach. You probably know what it does to clothes if a mistake happens.

Yes, if you don't find a solution and those bleached areas are highly noticeable, then yes, it will be your responsibility to replace the carpet.

dying carpets
    zhaoch Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2012, 08:32 AM
    Thanks Tickle, so should I just talk to my landlord first about what to do or should I try and just hire a professional company and fix it myself?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 13, 2012, 08:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by zhaoch View Post
    Thanks Tickle, so should I just talk to my landlord first about what to do or should I try and just hire a professional company and fix it myself?
    If I were you I would get quotes both ways, coloring and replacing then talk to the landlord. Quite sure he will say replace

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bleached hair dyed dark brown now wanting bleached hair again [ 1 Answers ]

I had my hair bleached a lot A LOT last year, this January I got my hair professionally dyed Dark brown. I used color oops and it's now a light brown. Would I be able to bleach my hair without it falling out?

Re:carpet knowledge of how long carpet has been in the apartment ? [ 4 Answers ]

Does the landlord need to keep the tentant knowledgeable of how long ago the carpter was first installed in apartment?

How to bid on a carpet cleaning job at 5000 square feet of carpet [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I'm bidding on a real estate contract,just doing the buffing and waxing of the tile floors every week at 280 square feet,and cleaning of the carpets bonnet cleaning weekly for spots and extractions once a month at 5000 square feet no cleaning of the building at this time.what would be the...

Charged for carpet replacement, carpet was not damaged [ 4 Answers ]

I moved out of an apartment and was charged $569.06 to replace the carpet. There was one stain, approximately 12x12 that I agreed was damaged. When I moved out, the Apartment Manager alleged, in writing, that I had a pet. I did not have a pet. I am an 18 year Flight Attendant and literally...

View more questions Search