Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dreamingangei38 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2007, 07:11 AM
    Wanting to marry
    I am a new born Christian as of last year and been divorced since 1998, But My ex-husband were not Christians and did not even go to church, I go to The Church Of God. My question is: I mat a really nice guy and we have been friends for a long while, I had stated having feeling for him but the Bible said I can't marry him until my ex- husband dies, I truly want to live the Christian life and ob ay god. My sister and her husband have search the Bible back and front to find a way out. (God does hate divorce) I'm very confused, If I have to stay single by god then I will, please help, I have pulled up theses (
    Matthew 19:3-8; 5:32
    Mark 10:1-12
    Luke 16:18
    1 Corinthians 7; 10:31
    Genesis 2:24
    Malachi 2:14-16
    Ephesians 5:22-32
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2007, 07:53 AM
    I know exactly what you are saying. The church I went to also taught that - that once married, always married in the eyes of the Lord. Even if legally divorced. Church Of God is a tough church to get past that standard.

I am not telling you to disbelieve what you are being taught. But I would ask for you to question. In the divorce - who iniated it? Did your husband want the divorce, was the divorce a result of his actions? As in, did he commit adultery? I ask this because if he was the one who prompted the divorce, then he was the one who left the marriage - in spirit and in intent. He was legally married to you, there in the flesh but not emotionally vested in the marriage. A speaker came to my church and talked about ministering to divorced men and woman and he brought all this out. I certainly could not have thought that way - so this is not my original thinking.

Can you talk to your pastor and ask him these things? Tell him you want to honor the Lord and the teachings of the Lord and you also want clear direction. You have a heartfelt petition to do what is right and holy. Yet who can expect you to remain single for the next 40 or so years until your ex husband dies? What happens if your ex husband remarries?

Best of luck to you. May your pastor listen with an open mind and heart.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 3, 2007, 07:53 AM
    No the bible does not say that specificly. If your husband is sleeping with someone else, that also frees you to marry, the issue of allowing divorce.

Also we live in a time of grace, not under the law. Those denominations that wish to keep us under the law are not truly following the complete teachings of the new testment but are living under the same concept as the religious teachers of Christ time, that he taught against.
    Sorry I know I will offend a lot here but think about it, Christ and his followers broke a lot of the "laws" of their time to the church.

Next you have the forgiveness, so even if it was wrong, Christ can and does forgive all sins.

And esp when the one party tried to stay married, you can't force the other one to stay married.

If you find a good , God fearing Christian to marry, anyone, any church that tells you it is wrong to marry them and be happy in life, is just plain wrong.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will he marry [ 26 Answers ]

He said "I want to spend the rest of my life with you and give you all the things you deserve.". Refers to you sometimes as his wife and himself sometimes as your husband. When not at work the time is spent together. Live together,spend time with both families and acts as if married. Closed about...

Please Help Us To Get Marry! [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, I met a girl on Yahoo chat. Now she's my girlfriend. We're chating since long & we are honest to each other. We finally decided to marry. The problem is that she lives in USA I'm In Pakistan. She wants me to come to USA. Can you help by telling steps what is the procedure of marrying US...

To marry young or not to marry young.. [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, maybe you can help me figure this out. I'm a 21-year-old junior in college, and my fiancé of one month is a 28-year-old naval lieutenant. We were coworkers before he joined the Navy, and we've been together just short of a year. My question is, how can I know whether I'm too young to get...

Re-marry [ 1 Answers ]

I married someone 20 years ago when I was in the Marines, I shipped out a few weeks later and never heard from or saw my "wife" again. I have no idea where she is. I would like to marry again, how do I go about making it legal?

View more questions Search