Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Leroy Brooks Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2012, 04:09 AM
    403b questions
    My wife is thinking about leaving her current job. I am a fulltime student and our bills are starting to catch up to us. We are thinking about using her 403 b money to help us get out of debt no matter the penalty. It will probably help in the long run to make life easier until I finish school. Is it possible for her to get all her 403b money if she leaves her job, for she is attempting to gain employment elsewhere.
    Willowlight Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2012, 05:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Brooks View Post
    My wife is thinking about leaving her current job. I am a fulltime student and our bills are starting to catch up to us. We are thinking about using her 403 b money to help us get out of debt no matter the penalty. It will probably help in the long run to make life easier until I finish school. Is it possible for her to get all her 403b money if she leaves her job, for she is attempting to gain employment elsewhere.
    When I took mine out it had to be under a hardship, and there was taxes and penalties applied at approx. 10%. I had the choice to have them take and hold that 10% for me and I did not take it... wishing I had because I know owe and don't have it. They for some reason could only allow me to take out like 95%, I think because I was still employed. Later in the year after I had left the job I emptied the rest. MY understanding is that if you are still employed with the company the only way you can get any money is through a proved hardship and they are going to allow 95% of the money out and they don't have to keep the taxes and penalties but if out of the job for 3 or more months you can empty it but they then do have to hold onto taxes and penalties. Talk with the handlers they can explain the whole thing.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 13, 2012, 07:05 AM
    You normally CAN access it after you leave the job, but the taxes, combined with the 10% Early Withdrawal Penalty, will probably reduce the distribution by at least one-third and possibly up to half of the distribution.

This being the case, you should exhaust ALL other possibilities before access the 403b.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 13, 2012, 07:09 AM
    After she leaves her job she will have the option to take as much of her account as she wants. As already noted she will have to pay ordinary income tax (federal as well as state/local if applicable where you live) plus the 10% early withdrawal penalty. They will most likely withhold 20% for federal taxes, but whether this is enough or too little will ultimately depend on your tax bracket. So be sure to save enough cash to cover taxes and penalty that may be above the amount initially withheld.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I use my 403b to buy a home? [ 0 Answers ]

I am buying a home and need money for a down payment. I do not have money saved and would like to use money in my 403B. How does it work?

403b contributions [ 1 Answers ]

Didn't I hear recently that the President lowered the age to cash in 403bs without penalty to 55 years of age, and turning 55 anytime this year would qualify?

403B Rollover while working after 59 1/2 Questions [ 1 Answers ]

My current employer changed 403B plan providers 3-4 years ago. My old account is still with the old provider company. However, my new contributions go into the new Provider Plan. I am over 59 1/2, can I roll the funds from the old plan over to a Traditional IRA without issue? Also, if I take...

403b questions. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, almost 2 years ago I took a 5,000 dollar loan on my 403b, in which I have aprox 25,000. I took the loan due to financial hardship after a break up and move, credit debt etc. It helped me with some of my problems but I find that I have to have around 2,000 dollars very soon or I may be...

1099-misc, 403b contribution, mortgage interest questions [ 4 Answers ]

QUESTION 1 I received a 1099-misc for a seminar I attended. It is not from my main job, where I got a regular W2. I own a home, and am using TurboTax. They're using a full form 1040. For this money from the 1099-misc, they want it on the schedule C, for saying it's from my personal business....

View more questions Search