Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Jul 28, 2012, 05:14 PM
    Well they murdered Wicca (the dog in Montreal) and are now considering a real messed up bylaw. I would not want to be a pet owner in that city.
    After Wicca, Montreal Plans Automatic Euthanasia | North Country Gazette
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Jul 28, 2012, 06:09 PM
    Wow! Read the article, am now stunned.
    So ANY laceration even a scratch from a happy dog who might jump up to greet someone is a death sentence?
    So when your neighbor who is tired of your dog barking, or for whatever reason they see fit, can essentially set your dog up to be slaughtered?
    And some who may need medical attention because they stuck their hand in Queenies' food bowl or did something else silly won't seek help because they don't want to have their dog or a friends, or family members dog sentenced to death.
    I agree there need to be laws that pertain to dangerous animals, but the key word there is dangerous.
    Did I read it correctly? Maybe I should read it again.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2012, 06:34 PM
    After reading that article, there is one sentence that stands out and pisses me off to no end.

Some dogs that have bitten and severely injured children and other animals but are not pit bulls obtain reprieves, not death orders.
    A dog bite is a dog bite.. and vicious dog is a vicious dog.. How can a community honestly discriminate against a breed of dog to that extent? How is a golden retreiver's bite any less lethal than a pit bull or a pit mix?

This is really getting out of control. A dog that scratches you because it jumps on you is automatically put down? What?

If any police officer came to my house and told me they are confiscating my dog, they'd be staring down the barrel of a 44 mag.

All this publicity on dog bites that are coming from pit bulls is outragous. They aren't any more vicious than a german shepherd dog.

I'll say it again.. public education. That's where this will both start and stop. But it'll never happen because killing dogs (pets) is much easier.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 28, 2012, 07:07 PM
    This new law is horrific. It's insane! Rascal would have been put down the minute we got him. I have scratches all over my arm. He's a puppy, it happens.

Heck Chewy would have been put down as well, years ago. He and Jasper got into a fight once, I stepped in to break it up (my bad) and ended up getting bit. It drew blood, and it hurt like hell. Chewy felt so bad about it. As soon as he made contact and realized it was me, he stopped fighting with Jasper, tucked his tail, and looked so sad. But still, it was a bite. My fault, but a bite nonetheless. :(

This law is horrible. What are they thinking? Are they thinking?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2012, 05:47 AM
    In the Summer I get assigned at least one dog bite a week - it's hot, kids are home, all of that contributes to the problem.

I've worked some really bad bites/attacks. The worst was an Akita that stalked a kid, grabbed him by the top of the head and peeled back his scalp. I've never seen such injuries. In my entire career I've seen three dogs that were, in fact, mad - a Pit (which a neighbor ended up stabbing because after it was pulled off the child it came back and attacked a second time), a German Shepherd and a Saint Bernard that totally went beserk. At that size a dog is impossible to handle and the Police shot it.

At any rate - off topic. In 99.9% (and probably higher) the dog should be told not to bite again and the owners should be put down.

I've talked to people who were so irresponsible and careless and often cruel that my hands were shaking and I had to bite my tongue - it's my job and there is no room for my opinons.

At any rate - the Akita was kept in the bathroom because it "peed all over the house." And then it got out.

The Pit was kept in the basement - and then it got out.

The GSD was chained to a doghouse with a TOW CHAIN - and was able to break the chain.

The St. Bernard was at a "family picnic" and people were throwing firecrackers around.

If legislators would spend more time looking into the how/what/where there would be fewer of these incidents.

That and our local SPCA - the GSD people had another dog from the SPCA by the time I got there to talk to them. And the SPCA had no idea what the history of the people was.

Clunk. Off my soapbox.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What does my dream mean, Friend/Murder/Friend watches own murder. [ 9 Answers ]

In my dream I murdered one of my really good friends, but in the end when I was standing next to my friends body, that same friend was alive standing next to me and telling me thank you so much for killing her...

Innocent chatting no longer innocent [ 19 Answers ]

I started chatting with a guy online who said he was looking for a male or female friend to go out with that evening and from time to time. I could not make it that evening, but I informed him I would be free to go some other time. I informed him also that I was married and only looking for...

Innocent man [ 7 Answers ]

My husband had ss# and birth certificate stolen, the person who stole his Id,has been arrested and bonded and never showed up on court day,how can he clear his name,

Innocent or guilty [ 2 Answers ]

Man I can't believe that Big 7 of the falcons is guilty my questions is do you all think it was a set up or did he really finance this evil

View more questions Search