Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    camaro1968 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2012, 03:55 PM
    Sewer sewer gas smell when using electric dryer
    I have a sewer gas in my small bath room on other side of wall is my washer and dryer,I have had new seals put under the toilet and checked the sink trapped which is working OK,I have found out for sure the only time the smell occurs is when you use the dryer and the smell is only in the small bath room not the utility room,the dryer is vented straight out the wall,has anyone had this problem an how did you solve it
    I have a maytag dryer
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2012, 10:00 PM
    It sounds like you have negative pressure where the dryer is located. You need a fresh air vent from outside to supply air into the laundry room. Air is bubbling through the traps when you run the dryer. This is a dangerous situation and can cause a fire or explosion of methane gas. Run a 4 inch line from outside either through the wall or through the ceiling to equal out the pressure.

Jul 13, 2012, 11:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by drtom4444 View Post
    It sounds like you have negative pressure where the dryer is located. You need a fresh air vent from outside to supply air into the laundry room. Air is bubbling through the traps when you run the dryer. This is a dangerous situation and can cause a fire or explosion of methane gas. Run a 4 inch line from outside either through the wall or through the ceiling to equal out the pressure.
    The dryer is vented out side and the doors where the dryer is setting has a inch gap under them
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2012, 11:40 AM
    That does not matter. It's the whole house that must be tight. Try opening a window to see if it does it then, especially if the laundry room has a window in it. The dryer has to be pulling the gas out of the sewer some way, otherwise you have a dried up trap on something like a floor drain, and even then the dryer still has to draw the gas out of the drain. A dryer moves a lot of air to dry clothes and must be replaced somehow. You are lucky you are not using a gas dryer or you would have carbon monoxide poisoning. They need even more fresh air.

Jul 13, 2012, 06:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by drtom4444 View Post
    That does not matter. It's the whole house that must be tight. Try opening a window to see if it does it then, especially if the laundry room has a window in it. The dryer has to be pulling the gas out of the sewer some way, otherwise you have a dried up trap on something like a floor drain, and even then the dryer still has to draw the gas out of the drain. A dryer moves a lot of air to dry clothes and must be replaced somehow. You are lucky you are not using a gas dryer or you would have carbon monoxide poisoning. They need even more fresh air.
    I've had a plumber out three times but I'm getting different tomorrow,for some reason the one I,vebeen using seems like he doesn't want to go into the wall and I personally think the roof vent that goes through the roof and comes down inside the wall where the small rest room is I think it has a small leak and when air gets to it then it reall makes the smell bad,the plumber said no that it would smell all the time but I don't buy that.what do you think?
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2012, 08:15 AM
    It's a good possibility that there is a leak from that vent. The dryer is drawing the gas in, however.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas/sewer smell when using electric clothes dryer [ 29 Answers ]

We have had a sewer/gas smell in our laundry room on and off for about a year now. At first we thought it was coming from our new Kenmore front load washing machine as we would get the smell when doing laundry. We had a plumber take a look and he snaked all the drains and said the outdoor pipe had...

Sewer sewer gas smell when using electric dryer [ 2 Answers ]

A wall separates my washer and dryer from a small bath room,gettig a strong sewer gas smell in the small bath room I thought when use the washer but after using the washer this morning waitged about 15 minutes and no smell so turned on the electric drye and in about 10 to 15 minutes had a strong...

Bad Sewer with horriable smell of gas fumes and sour smell ,toilet smell.unit [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a low rental, had complained since I have moved in on, June,26/2010... have called city of winnipeg was told private property. Called the water waste line.. they did nothing and the smell is still in the unit. The development, was build in 2007.. the air vents where the heat comes from,...

Sewer/gas smell from electric dryer [ 12 Answers ]

We have had a sewer/gas smell in our laundry room on and off for about a year now. At first we thought it was coming from our new Kenmore front load washing machine as we would get the smell when doing laundry. We had a plumber take a look and he snaked all the drains and said the outdoor pipe had...

View more questions Search