Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lopezandrea Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2012, 12:16 AM
    Can I move to another state with my kids?
    I have 3 year old twins and I have been having major problems with their dad. Can I move to Washington with my family. Do I need his permission? I'm from Texas and we are not married. Can I just leave?
    Vinyl Scratch Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Jul 12, 2012, 12:34 AM
    Of course you can! No offence or anything but I'v moved most of my life between Washington and Texas I'v moved ever year scene I was five until 2007 when I finally stayed at Utah to this date. Now, what made you think you had to have permission?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 12, 2012, 02:58 AM
    Is he the legal father, listed on the birth certificate? Is he a part of the twins lives? Define "major problems"?

If you are not married, the likelihood is that you can just leave. However, he can force you to return the children. If he is an active father, he can file in court for custody of the children and the fact that you just took them away will go against you. If you want to move without having to look over your shoulder, then you FIRST go to court and get full custody of the twins and the right to move.
    lopezandrea Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2012, 07:35 AM
    He is listed on their birth certificate. And major problems means he's an alcoholic. Comes home screaming and throwing stuff and my kids will wake up crying and I don't want my kids around it. I told him I wanted to take our kids to Washington and now he saying I need his permission. Or he'll file kidnap charges. I don't have money for a lawyer. And I don't have money to file anything through the court.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 12, 2012, 07:45 AM
    Have you called the police? If they can charge him with a domestic violence rap, you can get a restraining order against him.

You don't necessarily need an attorney to file for custody, but you DO need to go to court. While he is blowing smoke about kidnapping charges, he could force the children to be returned. You can't be prosecuted for kidnapping your own children unless you violate a court order AND hide the children from the other parent.

You should contact local support groups for battered woman or Al-Anon. They can usually help you with filing for custody at low or minimal costs.

But, as I said, if you leave without a court order, then he can file for custody and your leaving will not reflect well on you. You need to establish a record of his violence.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 12, 2012, 07:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    .... Since the OP mentioned moving to another "state", the likelihood is that this in in the US (could be Australia). ....
    If you will review the initial post, I think you will find that OP clearly indicated that she is in Texas and wants to move to Washington.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My ex has custody of kids can he move out of state? [ 8 Answers ]

My ex has custody of our 3 kids. I have visitation. Can he take the kids and move out of state or do I have some control over this. Kids are 12 (twins) & 13. They don't want to go. Have lived in same house and gone to same schools all of their life.

We both have rights on kids can she move out of state? [ 9 Answers ]

I lived in Texas and girlfriend took my 2yr old and 2 month old, out of state to Kansas we both have rights and want to be able to see kids what can I do?

Can I move out of state with my kids with no permission if he moved out of state? [ 3 Answers ]

OK well I have court orders where I have full custody he gets professional supervised visitation. But they also state I have to ask for permission from him to leave the state at all including vacations and moving. So my question is since he moved out of state do I still have to ask permission from...

Can I move out of state with my kids having no divorce [ 5 Answers ]

I am a father of 2 children ages 4 and 6. I have been raising them by myself for 2 years and no divorce has been filed yet. She is suppose to be paying child support but owes 3 thousand dollars so far. She has a baby by another man. I am living in MN and so does she. I want to know if I can...

View more questions Search