Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    killer_dog56359 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2012, 10:39 PM
    Backfire 1990 fxstc
    "1990 fxstc harley davidson... its backfiring from carb and pipes... I did the timing now I'm lost on the carb I put a new fuel pump thing (diaphram)... and it idels and starts like a camp but you give it gas or put a load on it and it spits and backfires the..
    PeterHD13 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2012, 08:52 AM
    I've got a 1990 FLTCU and it does the same thing , when it's cold. I found the Evo aluminum motor takes a fair while to properly warm up. Until the engine has warmed and the aluminum has expanded to hold the head and barrels to the crankcase with enough force it will spit through the carbie if I blip the throttle. Using the choke set at a quarter and reducing to an eighth helps but on cold days it's a problem. I prefer to Idle the bike till I'm happy with it then ride it slowly through the gears until I figure it's warmed up enough. I got a throttle stop screw from the HD dealer that lets me set the throttle at fast idle so it helps warm it quicker. Let's me walk away from the bike when it's cold. I had to disassemble the throttle housing to fit it.

I'm running over a 215 main used a drill in it and a big pilot I forget how big but it's pretty big. The main problem is the idle jet on the 40mm Kehlin it's pressed in and I can't replace it. I reckon it should be much bigger. I still think the main can be a bit bigger and I'm at about a 1000 feet above sea level.

If you have a Kehlin check the rubber manifold gasket between the carbie and the manifold is not rotted they can get holes in them. Check your EVOS tube is connected to the carbie and not rotted.

But mine will do this backfire thing until it's nice an warm and happy then I can flog it as much as I wan no problem.

Also cold air sucking into the exhaust flanges can cause the exhaust to pop check that where the exhaust pipe joins are that they are tight and sealed and your headers are tight in the head that your exhaust gaskets are OK and not blown.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Backfire [ 1 Answers ]

97 roadking flhr seams to be backfireing from the aor filter besides cleaning the filter what else should I be looking for?

Softtail 08 fxstc: handlebars turned to the left caused my engine to start reving [ 3 Answers ]

When I pulled into my driveway and turned my handlebars to the left my engine strated reving (like when the throttle is being cranked) -- any idea what is going on??

Backfire on tecumshe 10 hp engine [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 10 hp tecumshe engine on a generator I use when things like katrina start happening. Anyway I put it up for 2 years whth stabalizer in the gas and ran it once in that time. The last time I started it it was gummed up. I removed the carb. And rebuilt it but it backfires & pants, it does...

Toro ccr2000 backfire [ 5 Answers ]

1992 Toro ccr2000 snowthrower model # 38180 that backfires. When warmed up seems to run OK. Thought it was a fuel problem so I eliminated the fuel filter, it runs better but still backfires when cold.Please Help :)

Carburetor backfire [ 3 Answers ]

17hp Kohler backfiring through the carb. Water was in the gas but now O.K.

View more questions Search