Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carlos64ss Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2012, 04:12 PM
    "Oklahoma Landlord Rights" on tenant breaking a lease agreement
    We have a tenant that by a written lease agreement has a 12 month obligation on a house we are renting him. Just after being in possession for only 7 months, decided to text us and informed us that he was moving in 4 weeks. We have tried to call but will not answer his phone.

Can we sue him for the balance amount of the Lease Agreement which will be less than Tulsa County Small Claims requirements of $6,000 dollars.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jul 12, 2012, 02:28 PM
    You can't sue in advance for rent that hasn't yet become due.

What you need to do is make a "good faith effort" to re-rent the property to someone else. If you are able to re-rent it before the term of the first tenant's lease expires then you can sue the first tenant for the rent for the time between the last payment you received and the first payment you receive from the new tenant.

If you aren't able to get a new tenant during the last 4 months of the first tenant's term then you can sue that person for the entire balance of the lease.

Even though the tenant is moving out early you still have to follow OK law concerning the security deposit! This is very important.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 12, 2012, 02:43 PM
    In OK, once the rent is past due then "the landlord may bring an action for recovery of the rent at any time thereafter"
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 12, 2012, 03:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    In OK, once the rent is past due then "the landlord may bring an action for recovery of the rent at any time thereafter"
    But they can't sue for rent not due. Which means the OP should wait until they either find a new tenant or the lease expires.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 12, 2012, 03:19 PM
    "once the rent is past due " right, that's why I said once its past due you can sue. Said nothing about future past due rent.

Jul 12, 2012, 03:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    "once the rent is past due " right, thats why I said once its past due you can sue. Said nothing about future past due rent.
    But you are missing Lisa's point. So lets say he is paid through July and leaves at the end of July. So the OP sues for the August rent. Then they have to file suit again in Sep and again in Oct, etc. If they wait until they either find a new tenant or the lease expires they can then file one suit for the whole.

As far as the security deposit is concerned, the landlord can withhold the rent due against deposit as ling as they document that in a notice to the former tenant.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 12, 2012, 04:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    But you are missing Lisa's point. ... If they wait until they either find a new tenant or the lease expires they can then file one suit for the whole.
    Is that something particular about Okalahoma law?

I think an argument can be made, and depending on the wording of the lease, that it's yearly rent payable in installments. If they breached the lease, the entire amount becomes due.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jul 12, 2012, 04:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Is that something particular about Okalahoma law?

I think an argument can be made, and depending on the wording of the lease, that it's yearly rent payable in installments. If they breached the lease, the entire amount becomes due.
    You can make that argument but it won't work unless the lease contains a clause that all installments become due and payable upon default by the tenant.

Jul 12, 2012, 04:28 PM
    Almost all states have a provision that a landlord must make a good faith effort to mitigate their loss by trying to find a replacement tenant. So how can a court award a landlord future rents?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is "timely manner" (LL or Tenant) to sign/return lease for residential rental? [ 3 Answers ]

My LL submitted a Lease renewal, but made changes that I do not agree to & is different that my existing Lease Agreement. I sent it back with a proposal. How long does she have to reply with acceptance/non-acceptance or new proposal?

I am listed as an occupant on an Oklahoma lease agreement, what are my rights [ 2 Answers ]

The Legal Tenant, (now my ex-boy friend) wants me to move out. Since I am on the lease only as an Occupant, I am wanting to know if there is a time limit for me to move my things out of the apartment? Does it matter that I brought a married guy friend to stay the night at the apartment?

Breaking a lease agreement in Oklahoma [ 1 Answers ]

My son is getting divorced and can no longer afford the rent on his house. Can he legally break his lease without having to pay a penalty?

Evicted tenant left "no lease" girlfriend in my house. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all on the list, I am a relatively new landlord; understand that I am learning my lesson here. I had a tenant that moved in three months ago, and I had received only 100.00 of my rent and a two hundred dollar deposit. The house is shared by two other tenants with separate leases and the...

Landlord modifying lease without tenant agreement [ 3 Answers ]

I have a commercial lease in the state of Kentucky that states that the Landlord is responsible for providing adequate heat for the services of massage therapy and payment for all said utilities. The building was sold and the new landlord wants to install thermastats that moniter kwh and bill...

View more questions Search