Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    grannie4 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2012, 10:10 AM
    401 K and divorce rights
    My son and his wife are divorcing in NY. On their lists of Statement of Net Worth for the court appearance, she did not list her 401K. He is pro se. When he questioned this omission his wife told her attorney she had liquidated the account.Does she have the right to do that and is he entitled to any of the proceeds in division of assets? He is refusing to sign any of the stipulations in this case until she makes an offer of settlement. He does not have a 401K to enter into this negotiation.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 11, 2012, 12:19 PM
    She has the right to liquidate, but then she would have to include the proceeds in her Net Worth. Your son can get a subpoena to serve on her employer to get a copy of the last 401K statement.

Jul 11, 2012, 06:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    She has the right to liquidate, but then she would have to include the proceeds in her Net Worth. Your son can get a subpoena to serve on her employer to get a copy of the last 401K statement.
    Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, her employer was her father and his car dealership business, in which she was employed, has been closed. She refuses to say when she liquidated the account, although we suspect it was between last August and today. Is there some kind of government site that one can access to check on 401 K activity, i.e. closing, loans, etc?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 11, 2012, 06:39 PM
    Well if the dealership closed then the account may have been distributed. Just because her father was her employer doesn't mean he can get out of being subpoenaed. If he doesn't have the records he can refer to the plan administrator for the records.

Jul 11, 2012, 07:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Well if the dealership closed then the account may have been distributed. Just because her father was her employer doesn't mean he can get out of being subpoenaed. If he doesn't have the records he can refer to the plan administrator for the records.
    Thanks. Gives another avenue to explore.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where on divorce form do you include 401 amount settled on [ 1 Answers ]

I will be receiving $45000. From my ex's 401 once the divorce is settled. I receive soc sec disability and can not afford 20 percent taxes on $45000. Can he be required to pay the 20 percent

If employee dies before paying back 401 k can spouse repay 401 k [ 3 Answers ]

My husband took a loan from his 401K a month or two before he died. The repayment was scheduled through his payroll deductions. Is it advisable for me to repay the loan in full OR can I make monthly payments to the loan as he had been doing OR just continue with the 401K minus what was borrowed?

Rights in a Divorce [ 2 Answers ]

I have been in a abusive marriage for 21 years. I'm finally ready to end our marriage. In Missouri, how does the responsibility work if my husband has run up high credit card bills for his own pleasure. My name is NOT on these cards.

My rights in ny on divorce [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: my wife wants a divorce. I have two step childern,ones 17 ones 19 both live in the house.she tells me that her daughter 19 can stay in the house because she will be going back to college. I say no because her and I dod not get along.can I legally tell her to leave?

Giving up rights after divorce [ 7 Answers ]

My soon to be husband has a pyscho ex-wife that is very tricky. They had a short lived marriage... about 2 months that they lived together and have been separted for nearly 1 year since the divorce was filed. (Divorce is nearly complete, but that's because she refuse to sign anything and it's all...

View more questions Search