Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aleksandra1 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2012, 06:19 AM
    Unable to afford my dream university?
    Hi!

I am in my last year of high school, looking for universities to apply to. A few months ago, I found "my dream school" - it is a private university in Geneva, Switzerland, where the Bachelor in International Relations is taught by some of the best professors and serving ambassadors. I thought I could never make it there, but last week, while I was doing an internship in the United Nations, I visited the school and they basically told me that my chances of getting a place are very good! But now I regret visiting the school, because I fell in love with it and it seems that there is a chance for me to get in, but...

The problem is: price. 23 000 euros/28 000 dollars. My dad says we cannot afford it, we live in Eastern Europe - the top price we can pay for uni is about 10 000 euros. Plus the living costs in Geneva are extremely high... I would apply to public University of Geneva, but they teach in French and my knowledge of that language is insufficient - but the school I am interested in is in English... but too expensive. There is no scholarship from the school, just from the Association of Private Schools of Switzerland, and a possibility of a tuition fee waiver (10% - 40%) - a fellowship, work at that university. Either way, I donīt think that would be enough help... I would need a cheap accommodation (in France, I guess, it is not that far, and it is half-price... ) and some work to support me living there... but I am hopeless. :-(

Basically, my question is, how can I cope with not being able to go to the university I want, because of lack of finances?? How did you cope? I just feel that it is sooo unfair... if the uni thinks that I am talented enough as to be a part of their privileged 150 students (thatīs in BA, MA and doctorate together!), why do I have to give it up - just because I cannot afford the costs?? That is just unfairness of life, isnīt it?

Thanks and sorry for a long introduction.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2012, 06:26 AM
    You will have to cope your whole life with balancing your finances and living within your means. You are not entitled to the best of everything - you have to earn those privileges.
    semiramis78 Posts: 43, Reputation: 4

Jul 11, 2012, 06:28 AM
    Well, do you best but if id didn't work search for schools in Germany. They used to be free or a little fee.
    I wish I could study in the US but I couldn't afford it so I went to Germany and studied there.
    Good luck, and never loose your hope... try hard to get what you want! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unable to Finalize a DVD-R and therefore unable to view in any other device [ 2 Answers ]

I am unable to finalize my mini dvd-r in my sony handy cam. I have tried everything and it is not finalizing. My question is: Can I transfer the data from my handy cam to another DVD? Or is the data unable to be transferred because it can't be finalized? Thanks!

Never sleep late to dream, the dream. Always wake up early to live the dream. [ 0 Answers ]

I wanted to know who said or wrote the saying? Never sleep later to dream, the dream. Always wake up early to live the dream. Or, Idon't sleep late to dream, the dream. I wake up live the dream.

Kennedy-Western University NOW Warren National University [ 54 Answers ]

Forgive me if this question has already been asked and talked about. I am enrolled with Kennedy-Western, and now have a bad feeling about them. I cannot find where they are an "Accredited" postsecondary school, only licensed in the state of Wyoming. Does anyone know and can prove to me that they...

Is TUI University formerly (Touro University Intl) rec. By US DEPT of ED. [ 3 Answers ]

I am in the military and I was thinking of starting a Master's Degree at TUI University. I just wanted to know if I am wasting my time or is this degree going to be useful in the civilian world. i.e. is it recognized and Accredited by the U.S Dept of Education, like maybe IU, PURDUE Or Notre dame?...

View more questions Search