Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aagnelo Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2007, 05:44 PM
    H1B + H4 Married Filing Jointly?
    Hi,
    I am on H1B since November 2004 and it expires in May 2007. I got married in December 2006 in India. My wife is from India, and she joined me in the US on H4 visa in late January 2007.
    I worked in the US throughout 2006, whereas my wife was in India.

Can I file as married filing jointly? If so, could you please tell me what are the procedures and documents required to file my 2006 returns (federal and state).

Since she is on H4 visa, she doesn’t have her social security number.

Thank you very much!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 4, 2007, 11:34 PM
    Yes, you can file jointly.

You must submit Form W-7 WITH the tax return to request an ITIN for your wife, along with a notarized copy of her passport.
    ramasund Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2007, 11:52 AM
    Same situation, got married last year, wife joined early this year... It looks like "married filed jointly" is the way to go...

AtlTaxexprt, Are there any pointers online to look up this law? (jus curious)

Thanks,
    Anand

Mar 5, 2007, 09:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    Yes, you can file jointly.

You must submit Form W-7 WITH the tax return to request an ITIN for your wife, along with a notarized copy of her passport.
    Thanks so much Atlanta Tax Expert!!
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 7, 2007, 09:11 PM
    Anand:

Download IRS Pub 519 from Internal Revenue Service.

Aagnelo:

Glad to help!

Mar 7, 2007, 10:35 PM
    Anand:

Aagnelo:

Glad to help!
    I had one more question- what happens if my wife worked in India from Jan 2006 - November 2006? Does it involve any other procedure? I understand that my wife's income was less than the taxable income and she hasn't received her TDS form for 2006 since the financial year ends in March 2007.

Thanks again!
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 9, 2007, 10:30 AM
    You must declare your wife's India-based income on Line #21 of Form 1040, then claim the Foreign Tax Credit using Form 1116. If you do not have the final tax information, use the withheld (accrued) amounts from he pay slips.
    ramasund Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2007, 03:10 PM
    Anand:

Aagnelo:

Glad to help!

Thanks again!
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 22, 2007, 09:50 AM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I file as Married filing Jointly or Separately, if my wife has not entered US. [ 10 Answers ]

Hi David, I thought I'd post in this topic because I have a case similar to that of Balajinaik. However the website doesn't let me continue in his post, so I have to start a new Thread. I have been on an H1B visa through 2006 and will be filing as a resident alien. I got married in India in...

How to file "Married filing jointly" when one is on H1B and spouce on F-1? [ 5 Answers ]

Thank you very much for your feedback for the question on social security and medicare taxes not withheld. I have another tax related question I was hoping you could answer too. As I mentioned in the previous question, I am on H1-B (resident for tax purposes), while my wife is on F-1 visa as a...

Social security and medicare: OPT to H1: married filing jointly [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm a citizen of India. Was on OPT until Sept 2006 and have been on H1B since. I believe I have to file 1040 NR for 2006? Correct since I do not meet the substantial presence I got married in dec 2006. Should I use 1040 NR married filing jointly? My wife is on H4

OPT->H1B filing jointly [ 3 Answers ]

Dear Tax expert, I was on an OPT till Jan 1st to November 30th, 2006 and my H1B started on December 1st. My wife has been on an H1B all of 2006. We would like to file jointly. What forms do I use? Can I claim any deductions for being on an OPT for 11 months in 2006? Would it help if we...

Non-resident H4, ITIN number, e-filing, jointly filing taxes with spouse [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I've got a couple of questions. My spouse is a resident (H1) and I'm on an H4 visa. I'm a non-resident based on the substantial presence test. When we file our taxes 1) Do I need to get a ITIN number before we file our joint taxes? How long would it take to get one? 2) Once I have the...

View more questions Search